Jul 7, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Kevin Willard and Seton Hall inked a late 2013 commitment from Rasheed Anthony, a 6-foot-8 forward from Flora Macdonald Academy in Red Springs, NC.
For much of his college recruitment, Anthony was considered a fringe BCS-level player, but teams came onto him late. The one team that was with him from nearly the beginning was Seton Hall, and that paid off for Kevin Willard. Anthony rounds out Seton Hall’s 2013 recruiting class to go along with in-state product Jaren Sina out of Gill Saint Bernard’s (Travis Berry is a projected walk-on from the Kent School (CT)).
As of this past April, Boston College, Oklahoma, and Kansas State reportedly offered Anthony, as well, per Justin Byerly of CarolinaPreps.com:
The Pirates began their recruitment of Anthony in September of 2012, and had him for an official visit roughly two weeks ago.
According to SouthOrangeJuice.com, a website dedicated to Seton Hall basketball, Anthony should be eligible to play immediately despite there potentially being some issues on the surface:
Rashed Anthony was cleared by the N.C.A.A. clearinghouse last week. This is relevant due to the fact that Rashed’s high school isn’t exactly being held in the best light as of last fall. Flora MacDonald had their 2011-12 1-A title taken away by the North Carolina Independent School Athletic Association in October. They were also banned from postseason play for three seasons, which included Rashed Anthony’s senior season.
A scouting report from SLAM Online had this to say about the most recent member of the Pirates: “A bouncy forward with crazy wingspan, he was able to dominate…on the defensive end while also providing his team with a spark with his high activity level offensively.”
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)