Jul 7, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
Kevin Willard and Seton Hall inked a late 2013 commitment from Rasheed Anthony, a 6-foot-8 forward from Flora Macdonald Academy in Red Springs, NC.
For much of his college recruitment, Anthony was considered a fringe BCS-level player, but teams came onto him late. The one team that was with him from nearly the beginning was Seton Hall, and that paid off for Kevin Willard. Anthony rounds out Seton Hall’s 2013 recruiting class to go along with in-state product Jaren Sina out of Gill Saint Bernard’s (Travis Berry is a projected walk-on from the Kent School (CT)).
As of this past April, Boston College, Oklahoma, and Kansas State reportedly offered Anthony, as well, per Justin Byerly of CarolinaPreps.com:
The Pirates began their recruitment of Anthony in September of 2012, and had him for an official visit roughly two weeks ago.
According to SouthOrangeJuice.com, a website dedicated to Seton Hall basketball, Anthony should be eligible to play immediately despite there potentially being some issues on the surface:
Rashed Anthony was cleared by the N.C.A.A. clearinghouse last week. This is relevant due to the fact that Rashed’s high school isn’t exactly being held in the best light as of last fall. Flora MacDonald had their 2011-12 1-A title taken away by the North Carolina Independent School Athletic Association in October. They were also banned from postseason play for three seasons, which included Rashed Anthony’s senior season.
A scouting report from SLAM Online had this to say about the most recent member of the Pirates: “A bouncy forward with crazy wingspan, he was able to dominate…on the defensive end while also providing his team with a spark with his high activity level offensively.”
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 1
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)