Jul 7, 2013, 12:52 PM EST
Kevin Willard and Seton Hall inked a late 2013 commitment from Rasheed Anthony, a 6-foot-8 forward from Flora Macdonald Academy in Red Springs, NC.
For much of his college recruitment, Anthony was considered a fringe BCS-level player, but teams came onto him late. The one team that was with him from nearly the beginning was Seton Hall, and that paid off for Kevin Willard. Anthony rounds out Seton Hall’s 2013 recruiting class to go along with in-state product Jaren Sina out of Gill Saint Bernard’s (Travis Berry is a projected walk-on from the Kent School (CT)).
As of this past April, Boston College, Oklahoma, and Kansas State reportedly offered Anthony, as well, per Justin Byerly of CarolinaPreps.com:
The Pirates began their recruitment of Anthony in September of 2012, and had him for an official visit roughly two weeks ago.
According to SouthOrangeJuice.com, a website dedicated to Seton Hall basketball, Anthony should be eligible to play immediately despite there potentially being some issues on the surface:
Rashed Anthony was cleared by the N.C.A.A. clearinghouse last week. This is relevant due to the fact that Rashed’s high school isn’t exactly being held in the best light as of last fall. Flora MacDonald had their 2011-12 1-A title taken away by the North Carolina Independent School Athletic Association in October. They were also banned from postseason play for three seasons, which included Rashed Anthony’s senior season.
A scouting report from SLAM Online had this to say about the most recent member of the Pirates: “A bouncy forward with crazy wingspan, he was able to dominate…on the defensive end while also providing his team with a spark with his high activity level offensively.”
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)