Jul 7, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
With Johnathan Loyd heading into his senior season, the Oregon basketball program needed another point guard to go with Dominic Artis in 2014. With the commitment of Tempe, Ariz. (Corona Del Sol HS) product Casey Benson, the Ducks have their man.
The news was first reported by Josh Gershon of Scout.com.
The 6-3 Benson also held offers from schools such as Creighton, Nebraska, Stanford and Arizona State according to 247Sports.com. Named Gatorade State Player of the Year after his junior season, Benson led Corona Del Sol to a Division I state title with averages of 20.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game.
In addition to his work on the floor, Benson also maintained a 3.93 GPA.
“In addition to being a tremendous player, Casey Benson is a true leader and very coachable,” Corona del Sol head coach Sam Duane told USA Today when the honor was announced. “He is very competitive and he makes players around him better. He does not care about individual stats and only cares about what it takes to win.”
If everyone with eligibility remaining returns for the 2014-15 season Oregon has the potential to be a very difficult team to stop on the perimeter. In addition to Artis and Benson there’s also shooting guard Damyean Dotson, who earned Pac-12 All-Freshman Team honors last season, and Houston transfer Joseph Young.
It remains to be see whether or not Young’s request for an immediate eligibility waiver is granted, but whenever he’s allowed to play Oregon head coach Dana Altman will have a very good scorer at his disposal.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)