Jul 7, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
With Johnathan Loyd heading into his senior season, the Oregon basketball program needed another point guard to go with Dominic Artis in 2014. With the commitment of Tempe, Ariz. (Corona Del Sol HS) product Casey Benson, the Ducks have their man.
The news was first reported by Josh Gershon of Scout.com.
The 6-3 Benson also held offers from schools such as Creighton, Nebraska, Stanford and Arizona State according to 247Sports.com. Named Gatorade State Player of the Year after his junior season, Benson led Corona Del Sol to a Division I state title with averages of 20.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game.
In addition to his work on the floor, Benson also maintained a 3.93 GPA.
“In addition to being a tremendous player, Casey Benson is a true leader and very coachable,” Corona del Sol head coach Sam Duane told USA Today when the honor was announced. “He is very competitive and he makes players around him better. He does not care about individual stats and only cares about what it takes to win.”
If everyone with eligibility remaining returns for the 2014-15 season Oregon has the potential to be a very difficult team to stop on the perimeter. In addition to Artis and Benson there’s also shooting guard Damyean Dotson, who earned Pac-12 All-Freshman Team honors last season, and Houston transfer Joseph Young.
It remains to be see whether or not Young’s request for an immediate eligibility waiver is granted, but whenever he’s allowed to play Oregon head coach Dana Altman will have a very good scorer at his disposal.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)