Jul 7, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
With Johnathan Loyd heading into his senior season, the Oregon basketball program needed another point guard to go with Dominic Artis in 2014. With the commitment of Tempe, Ariz. (Corona Del Sol HS) product Casey Benson, the Ducks have their man.
The news was first reported by Josh Gershon of Scout.com.
The 6-3 Benson also held offers from schools such as Creighton, Nebraska, Stanford and Arizona State according to 247Sports.com. Named Gatorade State Player of the Year after his junior season, Benson led Corona Del Sol to a Division I state title with averages of 20.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game.
In addition to his work on the floor, Benson also maintained a 3.93 GPA.
“In addition to being a tremendous player, Casey Benson is a true leader and very coachable,” Corona del Sol head coach Sam Duane told USA Today when the honor was announced. “He is very competitive and he makes players around him better. He does not care about individual stats and only cares about what it takes to win.”
If everyone with eligibility remaining returns for the 2014-15 season Oregon has the potential to be a very difficult team to stop on the perimeter. In addition to Artis and Benson there’s also shooting guard Damyean Dotson, who earned Pac-12 All-Freshman Team honors last season, and Houston transfer Joseph Young.
It remains to be see whether or not Young’s request for an immediate eligibility waiver is granted, but whenever he’s allowed to play Oregon head coach Dana Altman will have a very good scorer at his disposal.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)