Jul 8, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT
Disturbing news out of St. Louis as a top junior college player is fighting for his life following a shooting near his home.
Leon Watkins, a sophomore-to-be at Mineral Area (Mo.) College, was shot several times in the head and upper body following an argument that turned violent in north St. Louis.
The 6-2 Watkins, a St. Louis native, averaged 10.3 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists last season while shooting 41.3 percent from three-point range.
Watkins the lone returning starter for the Mineral Area next season, who boast two famous alums of their basketball program in Arthur Agee of Hoops Dreams fame, as well as Demetrius Harris, who went on to Milwaukee before recently signing with the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs.
There’s been no update on Watkins’ condition.
The McCluer High School product was an important part of the first Cardinals team to make the NJCAA Tournament in 36 years, helping the team post a 25-9 overall record in 2012-13.
Authorities have arrested 20-year-old Matt Peebles and charged him with assault and armed criminal action in relation to the case.
(Photo courtesy of Mineral Area College)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)