Jul 8, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT
Disturbing news out of St. Louis as a top junior college player is fighting for his life following a shooting near his home.
Leon Watkins, a sophomore-to-be at Mineral Area (Mo.) College, was shot several times in the head and upper body following an argument that turned violent in north St. Louis.
The 6-2 Watkins, a St. Louis native, averaged 10.3 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists last season while shooting 41.3 percent from three-point range.
Watkins the lone returning starter for the Mineral Area next season, who boast two famous alums of their basketball program in Arthur Agee of Hoops Dreams fame, as well as Demetrius Harris, who went on to Milwaukee before recently signing with the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs.
There’s been no update on Watkins’ condition.
The McCluer High School product was an important part of the first Cardinals team to make the NJCAA Tournament in 36 years, helping the team post a 25-9 overall record in 2012-13.
Authorities have arrested 20-year-old Matt Peebles and charged him with assault and armed criminal action in relation to the case.
(Photo courtesy of Mineral Area College)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)