Jul 8, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT
Disturbing news out of St. Louis as a top junior college player is fighting for his life following a shooting near his home.
Leon Watkins, a sophomore-to-be at Mineral Area (Mo.) College, was shot several times in the head and upper body following an argument that turned violent in north St. Louis.
The 6-2 Watkins, a St. Louis native, averaged 10.3 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists last season while shooting 41.3 percent from three-point range.
Watkins the lone returning starter for the Mineral Area next season, who boast two famous alums of their basketball program in Arthur Agee of Hoops Dreams fame, as well as Demetrius Harris, who went on to Milwaukee before recently signing with the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs.
There’s been no update on Watkins’ condition.
The McCluer High School product was an important part of the first Cardinals team to make the NJCAA Tournament in 36 years, helping the team post a 25-9 overall record in 2012-13.
Authorities have arrested 20-year-old Matt Peebles and charged him with assault and armed criminal action in relation to the case.
(Photo courtesy of Mineral Area College)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)