Jul 8, 2013, 11:13 PM EST
Disturbing news out of St. Louis as a top junior college player is fighting for his life following a shooting near his home.
Leon Watkins, a sophomore-to-be at Mineral Area (Mo.) College, was shot several times in the head and upper body following an argument that turned violent in north St. Louis.
The 6-2 Watkins, a St. Louis native, averaged 10.3 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists last season while shooting 41.3 percent from three-point range.
Watkins the lone returning starter for the Mineral Area next season, who boast two famous alums of their basketball program in Arthur Agee of Hoops Dreams fame, as well as Demetrius Harris, who went on to Milwaukee before recently signing with the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs.
There’s been no update on Watkins’ condition.
The McCluer High School product was an important part of the first Cardinals team to make the NJCAA Tournament in 36 years, helping the team post a 25-9 overall record in 2012-13.
Authorities have arrested 20-year-old Matt Peebles and charged him with assault and armed criminal action in relation to the case.
(Photo courtesy of Mineral Area College)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)