Jul 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
One of the more sought-after late transfers has found a home.
Jermaine Marshall, who has spent the past three seasons at Penn State, will head to Arizona State for his final season of eligibility. Marshall averaged 15.3 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.6 assists last season for the Nittany Lions.
Marshall announced he would transfer from State College, Pa. last month after flirting with the idea of turning professional. He’ll be eligible immediately. Marshall redshirted as a freshman in 2009-10 following a patella tendon injury.
The game of musical chairs that is offseason transfers continues for college basketball — especially when it comes to graduate transfers. Marshall comes to Herb Sendek’s team to replace the void left by the transfer of Evan Gordon (who went to Indiana). And last month Penn State announced the signing of graduate transfer Allen Roberts (from Miami of Ohio) to replace Marshall (oh, and Blake McLimans is now at Miami of Ohio somewhat replacing Roberts).
Penn State transfer Jermaine Marshall has committed to Arizona State, per a source. Eligible immediately.
— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) July 8, 2013
Marshall, a 6-4, 205-pound scorer, can definitely plug the gap left by Gordon. He was the third-leading scorer — second if you factor in that Tim Frazier missed most of the season with a torn ACL — for Penn State last year and can be that same compliment to Jahii Carson. Though he may have to improve his percentages, since Marshall has not averaged better than 39-percent from the field overall or 33 percent from three-point range in his college career.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)