Jul 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
One of the more sought-after late transfers has found a home.
Jermaine Marshall, who has spent the past three seasons at Penn State, will head to Arizona State for his final season of eligibility. Marshall averaged 15.3 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.6 assists last season for the Nittany Lions.
Marshall announced he would transfer from State College, Pa. last month after flirting with the idea of turning professional. He’ll be eligible immediately. Marshall redshirted as a freshman in 2009-10 following a patella tendon injury.
The game of musical chairs that is offseason transfers continues for college basketball — especially when it comes to graduate transfers. Marshall comes to Herb Sendek’s team to replace the void left by the transfer of Evan Gordon (who went to Indiana). And last month Penn State announced the signing of graduate transfer Allen Roberts (from Miami of Ohio) to replace Marshall (oh, and Blake McLimans is now at Miami of Ohio somewhat replacing Roberts).
Penn State transfer Jermaine Marshall has committed to Arizona State, per a source. Eligible immediately.
— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) July 8, 2013
Marshall, a 6-4, 205-pound scorer, can definitely plug the gap left by Gordon. He was the third-leading scorer — second if you factor in that Tim Frazier missed most of the season with a torn ACL — for Penn State last year and can be that same compliment to Jahii Carson. Though he may have to improve his percentages, since Marshall has not averaged better than 39-percent from the field overall or 33 percent from three-point range in his college career.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)