Jul 8, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall has hired Steve Forbes as an assistant coach, according to a report from Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com. Forbes is currently the head coach at Northwest Florida State, a Junior College that produces as much talent as any program at that level, including Carl Hall, who started for the Shockers in their run to the Final Four.
At face value, the hiring isn’t all that interesting.
Much of Wichita State’s success during Marshall’s tenure has been built off of their success in landing JuCo transfers; Hall and Cleanthony Early immediately come to mind. So bringing in a coach to secure a pipeline to one of the best JuCo programs in the country certainly isn’t a surprising decision.
What makes this move interesting, however, is that Forbes was a member of Bruce Pearl’s final staff at Tennessee. The one that, you know, lost their job because Pearl struggled with the truth regarding a barbecue he had at his house with Aaron Craft. Forbes and fellow assistants Jason Shay and Tony Jones covered for Pearl, and as a result they were given one-year show-cause penalties.
Those sanctions expired last August, and Forbes, two years removed from coaching at the Division I level, now has a job as an assistant at a program coming off of a Final Four that just so happens to be the new powerhouse in the Missouri Valley, arguably the best mid-major league in the country.
It may not have been a ideal path, but I’d say he rebounded nicely.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)