Jul 9, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Jim Larranaga and Miami Hurricanes added their first commitment to their Class of … uh … 2017.
D.J. Russell, a 6-foot-6 rising freshman small forward, who will be enrolling in Arlington Country Day (Fla.) decided to end his college recruitment before he even began high school, as it was reported that he had committed to Miami on Tuesday. Eric Bossi, the National Basketball Recruiting Analyst, first reported the very early commitment on Tuesday evening. Jerry Meyer of 247Sports.com also got word of the commitment from Emory Walton, Russell’s coach with the Atlanta Celtics 15u team.
“Their style fits me and I like how they let their wings and guards do what they do,” Russell told Bossi on Tuesday evening. “I’m not worried about it being early. It’s all about hard work on my end now.
“I like to use my size and I score the ball very well,” Russell added when describing his game. “I have the 3-point shot down pretty well. I can defend, rebound and handle it a bit.”
Bossi went on to state that it is rare to commit this early, it’s not unheard of. He also listed off several notable players — Ryan Boatright and Taylor King — who committed early, only to end up at different programs. So don’t be surprised if it’s not ‘All About the U’ for Russell by the time he graduates in the spring of 2017.
“It’s an amazing feeling,” Russell told Rivals . “I just have to keep on working, I can never stop working.”
For now, the latest Miami commit is set to join an Arlington Country Day program that had eight former players on D1 rosters this past season.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)