Jul 9, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
Jim Larranaga and Miami Hurricanes added their first commitment to their Class of … uh … 2017.
D.J. Russell, a 6-foot-6 rising freshman small forward, who will be enrolling in Arlington Country Day (Fla.) decided to end his college recruitment before he even began high school, as it was reported that he had committed to Miami on Tuesday. Eric Bossi, the National Basketball Recruiting Analyst, first reported the very early commitment on Tuesday evening. Jerry Meyer of 247Sports.com also got word of the commitment from Emory Walton, Russell’s coach with the Atlanta Celtics 15u team.
“Their style fits me and I like how they let their wings and guards do what they do,” Russell told Bossi on Tuesday evening. “I’m not worried about it being early. It’s all about hard work on my end now.
“I like to use my size and I score the ball very well,” Russell added when describing his game. “I have the 3-point shot down pretty well. I can defend, rebound and handle it a bit.”
Bossi went on to state that it is rare to commit this early, it’s not unheard of. He also listed off several notable players — Ryan Boatright and Taylor King — who committed early, only to end up at different programs. So don’t be surprised if it’s not ‘All About the U’ for Russell by the time he graduates in the spring of 2017.
“It’s an amazing feeling,” Russell told Rivals . “I just have to keep on working, I can never stop working.”
For now, the latest Miami commit is set to join an Arlington Country Day program that had eight former players on D1 rosters this past season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)