Jul 9, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
Jim Larranaga and Miami Hurricanes added their first commitment to their Class of … uh … 2017.
D.J. Russell, a 6-foot-6 rising freshman small forward, who will be enrolling in Arlington Country Day (Fla.) decided to end his college recruitment before he even began high school, as it was reported that he had committed to Miami on Tuesday. Eric Bossi, the National Basketball Recruiting Analyst, first reported the very early commitment on Tuesday evening. Jerry Meyer of 247Sports.com also got word of the commitment from Emory Walton, Russell’s coach with the Atlanta Celtics 15u team.
“Their style fits me and I like how they let their wings and guards do what they do,” Russell told Bossi on Tuesday evening. “I’m not worried about it being early. It’s all about hard work on my end now.
“I like to use my size and I score the ball very well,” Russell added when describing his game. “I have the 3-point shot down pretty well. I can defend, rebound and handle it a bit.”
Bossi went on to state that it is rare to commit this early, it’s not unheard of. He also listed off several notable players — Ryan Boatright and Taylor King — who committed early, only to end up at different programs. So don’t be surprised if it’s not ‘All About the U’ for Russell by the time he graduates in the spring of 2017.
“It’s an amazing feeling,” Russell told Rivals . “I just have to keep on working, I can never stop working.”
For now, the latest Miami commit is set to join an Arlington Country Day program that had eight former players on D1 rosters this past season.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)