Jul 9, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
One of my favorite things to do during the boring offseason months is to track the Coaching Carousel and figure out how one job change set off a chain reaction that created a notable hiring.
Today, we’ll look at Steve Forbes, the former Tennessee assistant under Bruce Pearl who spent the last two years as the head coach at Northwest Florida State JC, and how he landed an assistant position at Wichita State.
It all started with Florida-Gulf Coast, who rode the #DunkCity wave to the Sweet 16 as a No. 15 seed with upsets of Georgetown and San Diego State. The attention that the program derived from that postseason run and the enthralling style that head coach Andy Enfield had his team play resulted in him getting hired by USC to take over the program when Kevin O’Neill was fired.
With quite a bit of talent returning and a palpable buzz around a program at a school on the beach in Florida, FGCU was an enticing job. Kansas assistant coach Joe Dooley won the #DunkCity sweepstakes and was hired to take over the program. Bill Self needed to fill the void that Dooley left on his staff, so he hired Jerrance Howard, then an assistant at SMU and a former player under Self at Illinois.
With an opening on his staff, Larry Brown tapped into the coaching staff of a team that reached the Final Four, hiring away KT Turner from Wichita State. That hiring opened up a spot for Forbes to be hired by Gregg Marshall.
If Forbes is going to send anyone a thank you note for his hiring, it should probably be Brett Comer, Sherwood Brown and the rest of FGCU’s roster.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)