Jul 9, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
One of my favorite things to do during the boring offseason months is to track the Coaching Carousel and figure out how one job change set off a chain reaction that created a notable hiring.
Today, we’ll look at Steve Forbes, the former Tennessee assistant under Bruce Pearl who spent the last two years as the head coach at Northwest Florida State JC, and how he landed an assistant position at Wichita State.
It all started with Florida-Gulf Coast, who rode the #DunkCity wave to the Sweet 16 as a No. 15 seed with upsets of Georgetown and San Diego State. The attention that the program derived from that postseason run and the enthralling style that head coach Andy Enfield had his team play resulted in him getting hired by USC to take over the program when Kevin O’Neill was fired.
With quite a bit of talent returning and a palpable buzz around a program at a school on the beach in Florida, FGCU was an enticing job. Kansas assistant coach Joe Dooley won the #DunkCity sweepstakes and was hired to take over the program. Bill Self needed to fill the void that Dooley left on his staff, so he hired Jerrance Howard, then an assistant at SMU and a former player under Self at Illinois.
With an opening on his staff, Larry Brown tapped into the coaching staff of a team that reached the Final Four, hiring away KT Turner from Wichita State. That hiring opened up a spot for Forbes to be hired by Gregg Marshall.
If Forbes is going to send anyone a thank you note for his hiring, it should probably be Brett Comer, Sherwood Brown and the rest of FGCU’s roster.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)