Jul 10, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
New FGCU head coach Joe Dooley wasn’t around when the Eagles went on their Sweet 16 run that captivated the country, complete with an attractive style of play and the #DunkCity label. But that doesn’t mean he and his staff can’t attempt to ride the momentum generated by last year’s Atlantic Sun tournament champions.
On Wednesday morning Dooley landed his first verbal commitment as head coach, as 2014 shooting guard Christian Terrell (Providence HS, Jacksonville, Fla.) announced his decision to attend FGCU via Twitter.
Terrell, who plays with Duke commitment Grayson Allen at Providence HS, is a skilled guard who helped the school win the Florida Class 3A state title in the spring. And with FGCU receiving the #DunkCity label, it may be fitting that Terrell is joining the program due to the video below.
FGCU loses just one senior (forward Chase Fieler) after the 2013-14 season, meaning that Terrell will join the likes of point guard Brett Comer, shooting guard Bernard Thompson and forward Jamail Jones (who sat out last season after transferring in from Marquette). Those remaining pieces mean that coach Dooley won’t lack for talent as he looks to build on what Andy Enfield and company accomplished in 2012-13.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)