Jul 10, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
New FGCU head coach Joe Dooley wasn’t around when the Eagles went on their Sweet 16 run that captivated the country, complete with an attractive style of play and the #DunkCity label. But that doesn’t mean he and his staff can’t attempt to ride the momentum generated by last year’s Atlantic Sun tournament champions.
On Wednesday morning Dooley landed his first verbal commitment as head coach, as 2014 shooting guard Christian Terrell (Providence HS, Jacksonville, Fla.) announced his decision to attend FGCU via Twitter.
Terrell, who plays with Duke commitment Grayson Allen at Providence HS, is a skilled guard who helped the school win the Florida Class 3A state title in the spring. And with FGCU receiving the #DunkCity label, it may be fitting that Terrell is joining the program due to the video below.
FGCU loses just one senior (forward Chase Fieler) after the 2013-14 season, meaning that Terrell will join the likes of point guard Brett Comer, shooting guard Bernard Thompson and forward Jamail Jones (who sat out last season after transferring in from Marquette). Those remaining pieces mean that coach Dooley won’t lack for talent as he looks to build on what Andy Enfield and company accomplished in 2012-13.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 0
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)