Jul 10, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
New FGCU head coach Joe Dooley wasn’t around when the Eagles went on their Sweet 16 run that captivated the country, complete with an attractive style of play and the #DunkCity label. But that doesn’t mean he and his staff can’t attempt to ride the momentum generated by last year’s Atlantic Sun tournament champions.
On Wednesday morning Dooley landed his first verbal commitment as head coach, as 2014 shooting guard Christian Terrell (Providence HS, Jacksonville, Fla.) announced his decision to attend FGCU via Twitter.
Terrell, who plays with Duke commitment Grayson Allen at Providence HS, is a skilled guard who helped the school win the Florida Class 3A state title in the spring. And with FGCU receiving the #DunkCity label, it may be fitting that Terrell is joining the program due to the video below.
FGCU loses just one senior (forward Chase Fieler) after the 2013-14 season, meaning that Terrell will join the likes of point guard Brett Comer, shooting guard Bernard Thompson and forward Jamail Jones (who sat out last season after transferring in from Marquette). Those remaining pieces mean that coach Dooley won’t lack for talent as he looks to build on what Andy Enfield and company accomplished in 2012-13.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)