Jul 10, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
New FGCU head coach Joe Dooley wasn’t around when the Eagles went on their Sweet 16 run that captivated the country, complete with an attractive style of play and the #DunkCity label. But that doesn’t mean he and his staff can’t attempt to ride the momentum generated by last year’s Atlantic Sun tournament champions.
On Wednesday morning Dooley landed his first verbal commitment as head coach, as 2014 shooting guard Christian Terrell (Providence HS, Jacksonville, Fla.) announced his decision to attend FGCU via Twitter.
Terrell, who plays with Duke commitment Grayson Allen at Providence HS, is a skilled guard who helped the school win the Florida Class 3A state title in the spring. And with FGCU receiving the #DunkCity label, it may be fitting that Terrell is joining the program due to the video below.
FGCU loses just one senior (forward Chase Fieler) after the 2013-14 season, meaning that Terrell will join the likes of point guard Brett Comer, shooting guard Bernard Thompson and forward Jamail Jones (who sat out last season after transferring in from Marquette). Those remaining pieces mean that coach Dooley won’t lack for talent as he looks to build on what Andy Enfield and company accomplished in 2012-13.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 1
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 0
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 2
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 0
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)