Jul 10, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
On Wednesday afternoon, Virginia announced that guard Taylor Barnette would be transferring out of the program.
“Taylor has informed me that he has decided to transfer from our program,” Bennett said. “His main reason is that he wants a bigger role as a player at another school. His release will be granted and we wish him well.”
Barnette averaged 2.6 points as a freshman for the Cavaliers, shooting 43.2% from three and seeing action in 26 games. His career-high of 13 points can in the NIT against St. John’s. Barnette was a three-star recruit according to Rivals, picking UVA over a handful of mid-major programs.
That wasn’t the biggest news of the day, however.
According to a report from Whitelaw Reid, Akil Mitchell broke his right hand at “a recent basketball camp”. Mitchell was fine the final day of the Nike Skills Academy when I saw him last month, which means he likely injured the hand while competing earlier this week at the LeBron James Skills Academy out in Las Vegas.
Mitchell averaged 13.1 points and 8.9 boards last season, and has impressed thus far during the summer.
Bennett told Reid that Mitchell’s injury will keep him out 4-6 weeks, which means he’ll be back before the end of the summer.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (2)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (2)