Jul 10, 2013, 10:37 PM EDT
In the spring Washington announced the addition of T.J. Otzelberger and Raphael Chillious to Lorenzo Romar’s coaching staff, with longtime assistant Jim Shaw being one of the coaches (Paul Fortier being the other) moving on to pursue other opportunities.
Wednesday it was announced that Shaw will join Randy Bennett’s staff at Saint Mary’s as a special assistant to the head coach, reuniting the two coaches who last worked together at Saint Louis in 1999.
“Jim Shaw has had a tremendous amount of success as a basketball coach and I am looking forward to having his experience and professionalism help our program,” Bennett said in the release announcing the hire.
“I’ve known Jim for a long time. He has worked for some great coaches and helped every team he worked with achieve some of those programs’ best seasons. We are fortunate to have him on our basketball staff.”
Shaw has more than two decades of coaching experience at the Division I level, with his last nine seasons being spent at Washington under Romar. Shaw’s experience, not to mention the familiarity between he and coach Bennett, should help the Saint Mary’s program as they begin life without point guard Matthew Dellavedova in 2013-14.
“I’ve known Randy since we were both in graduate school (Shaw attended Idaho State, while Bennett was at Idaho) and we’ve always kept in touch,” Shaw said. “I’ve maintained a familiarity with Saint Mary’s because of Randy. To be able to join this staff and be a part of what this program has accomplished is really special.”
Currently Saint Mary’s has two assistants on Bennett’s staff, Adam Caporn and Eran Ganot.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)