Jul 10, 2013, 10:37 PM EDT
In the spring Washington announced the addition of T.J. Otzelberger and Raphael Chillious to Lorenzo Romar’s coaching staff, with longtime assistant Jim Shaw being one of the coaches (Paul Fortier being the other) moving on to pursue other opportunities.
Wednesday it was announced that Shaw will join Randy Bennett’s staff at Saint Mary’s as a special assistant to the head coach, reuniting the two coaches who last worked together at Saint Louis in 1999.
“Jim Shaw has had a tremendous amount of success as a basketball coach and I am looking forward to having his experience and professionalism help our program,” Bennett said in the release announcing the hire.
“I’ve known Jim for a long time. He has worked for some great coaches and helped every team he worked with achieve some of those programs’ best seasons. We are fortunate to have him on our basketball staff.”
Shaw has more than two decades of coaching experience at the Division I level, with his last nine seasons being spent at Washington under Romar. Shaw’s experience, not to mention the familiarity between he and coach Bennett, should help the Saint Mary’s program as they begin life without point guard Matthew Dellavedova in 2013-14.
“I’ve known Randy since we were both in graduate school (Shaw attended Idaho State, while Bennett was at Idaho) and we’ve always kept in touch,” Shaw said. “I’ve maintained a familiarity with Saint Mary’s because of Randy. To be able to join this staff and be a part of what this program has accomplished is really special.”
Currently Saint Mary’s has two assistants on Bennett’s staff, Adam Caporn and Eran Ganot.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)