Jul 10, 2013, 10:37 PM EST
In the spring Washington announced the addition of T.J. Otzelberger and Raphael Chillious to Lorenzo Romar’s coaching staff, with longtime assistant Jim Shaw being one of the coaches (Paul Fortier being the other) moving on to pursue other opportunities.
Wednesday it was announced that Shaw will join Randy Bennett’s staff at Saint Mary’s as a special assistant to the head coach, reuniting the two coaches who last worked together at Saint Louis in 1999.
“Jim Shaw has had a tremendous amount of success as a basketball coach and I am looking forward to having his experience and professionalism help our program,” Bennett said in the release announcing the hire.
“I’ve known Jim for a long time. He has worked for some great coaches and helped every team he worked with achieve some of those programs’ best seasons. We are fortunate to have him on our basketball staff.”
Shaw has more than two decades of coaching experience at the Division I level, with his last nine seasons being spent at Washington under Romar. Shaw’s experience, not to mention the familiarity between he and coach Bennett, should help the Saint Mary’s program as they begin life without point guard Matthew Dellavedova in 2013-14.
“I’ve known Randy since we were both in graduate school (Shaw attended Idaho State, while Bennett was at Idaho) and we’ve always kept in touch,” Shaw said. “I’ve maintained a familiarity with Saint Mary’s because of Randy. To be able to join this staff and be a part of what this program has accomplished is really special.”
Currently Saint Mary’s has two assistants on Bennett’s staff, Adam Caporn and Eran Ganot.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)