Jul 10, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
After serving as head coach for the last six seasons, it was announced Wednesday that UC Riverside’s Jim Wooldridge will step down from the position to become the school’s interim athletic director. He replaces Brian Wickstrom, who resigned to take a job as athletic director at UL Monroe.
“I’m pleased to name Coach Jim Wooldridge as our Interim Athletics Director,” Interim Chancellor Jane Close Conoley said in a statement announcing the move. “Through his service to his scholar-athletes and to the UCR community, Jim has stressed the best aspects of learning, competition, and achievement. He will be a significant resource for the university and the department as we move forward.”
Even though he’ll no longer be the head coach, Wooldridge will have a significant impact on the direction of the UC Riverside basketball program thanks to the proposal to build a new multi-purpose arena (the C-Center) on campus.
The project is currently being reviewed as developers are submitting bids, with the winning bid possibly being announced as soon as September. And it’s the kind of endeavor that can give Riverside the initial boost needed to raise its stature within the Big West.
Conoley stressed the importance of athletics to campus life and the goals of the UCR strategic plan. “Our strategic plan calls for an enhanced commitment to our student-athletes, student body and fans. We look forward to winning teams in state-of-the-art facilities. We hold the same ambitions for every part of UCR. We are all on the path to pre-eminence.”
How long Wooldridge remains in this role (or if he has a chance of having the interim tag removed) remains to be seen, with Conoley announcing that the school will conduct a national search for an athletic director.
With Wooldridge making the move into an administrative role, assistant coach Dennis Cutts becomes the program’s interim head coach. A member of Wooldridge’s staff at Riverside since 2007, Cutts has 15 years of college coaching experience with this being his first head coaching gig.
With Wednesday’s news Riverside now has an interim chancellor, athletic director and head coach. The Highlanders finished the 2012-13 season with a 6-25 record, going 3-15 in Big West play and failing to qualify for the conference tournament.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)