Jul 10, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Due to the fact that former Auburn basketball player Varez Ward, who is up on two charges related to an alleged point-shaving scandal, has no prior criminal offenses lawyer Everett Hess was hopeful that his client’s request to enter a pretrial diversion plan would be granted by the prosecution.
No such luck for Ward as it was reported Wednesday that the prosecution has denied the request, with the prosecution not giving a reason in regards to why they made the decision either. The game prosecutors have zeroed in on is Auburn’s 56-53 loss at Arkansas on January 25, 2012.
Wess said based on what he has learned through discovery, it appears prosecutors will allege that Ward made an agreement with one other person and asked teammates to participate. He questioned whether prosecutors would be able to prove to a jury that there was a conspiracy and an agreement.
According to statsheet.com the final line for that contest was Arkansas -9.5, and Ward did not play in that particular game due to the fact that he was suspended after the school learned that the FBI was investigating the possibility of Ward shaving points.
Ward’s trial begins on November 4 in Montgomery. On May 30 he was indicted on charges of conspiracy to defraud and bribery in sporting contests. He pleaded not guilty to both charges
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)