Jul 11, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
With its top four scorers from last season returning, Eastern Illinois had the potential to improve upon its 11-21 record (6-10 OVC) in 2013-14. But if Jay Spoonhour’s Panthers are to accomplish that goal, they’ll do so without the services of leading scorer Morris Woods.
It was announced Wednesday that the 6-3 guard has been dismissed from the EIU basketball program after averaging 11.0 points and 4.3 rebounds per game as a junior.
“He was dismissed from the university and we’re trying to find a new school for him,” coach Jay Spoonhour said. “I really like Morris and the year he had last year and I hope for nothing but the best for him.”
Eastern Illinois averaged an OVC-worst 60.4 points per game, with their 0.99 points per possession average ranking ninth in the conference. The Panthers won five of their final eight regular season games to earn a spot in the OVC tournament, and Woods’ improvement as a scorer was one reason why.
Woods averaged 15.9 points per game during that stretch (he missed EIU’s 58-50 win at Chicago State on February 26), shooting 57.7% from the field. On the season Woods converted 51% of his field goal attempts.
Eastern Illinois will not lack for options when it comes to replacing Woods however, as sophomore Alex Austin (9.2 ppg as a freshman) returns and the well-traveled Reggie Smith (has played at both Marquette and UNLV) will be eligible to play after sitting out last season.
Forwards Sherman Blanford (10.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg) and Josh Piper (10.2, 4.4) are the Panthers’ two leading returnees from last season’s roster.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)