Jul 11, 2013, 5:54 PM EST
With its top four scorers from last season returning, Eastern Illinois had the potential to improve upon its 11-21 record (6-10 OVC) in 2013-14. But if Jay Spoonhour’s Panthers are to accomplish that goal, they’ll do so without the services of leading scorer Morris Woods.
It was announced Wednesday that the 6-3 guard has been dismissed from the EIU basketball program after averaging 11.0 points and 4.3 rebounds per game as a junior.
“He was dismissed from the university and we’re trying to find a new school for him,” coach Jay Spoonhour said. “I really like Morris and the year he had last year and I hope for nothing but the best for him.”
Eastern Illinois averaged an OVC-worst 60.4 points per game, with their 0.99 points per possession average ranking ninth in the conference. The Panthers won five of their final eight regular season games to earn a spot in the OVC tournament, and Woods’ improvement as a scorer was one reason why.
Woods averaged 15.9 points per game during that stretch (he missed EIU’s 58-50 win at Chicago State on February 26), shooting 57.7% from the field. On the season Woods converted 51% of his field goal attempts.
Eastern Illinois will not lack for options when it comes to replacing Woods however, as sophomore Alex Austin (9.2 ppg as a freshman) returns and the well-traveled Reggie Smith (has played at both Marquette and UNLV) will be eligible to play after sitting out last season.
Forwards Sherman Blanford (10.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg) and Josh Piper (10.2, 4.4) are the Panthers’ two leading returnees from last season’s roster.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)