Jul 11, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
With its top four scorers from last season returning, Eastern Illinois had the potential to improve upon its 11-21 record (6-10 OVC) in 2013-14. But if Jay Spoonhour’s Panthers are to accomplish that goal, they’ll do so without the services of leading scorer Morris Woods.
It was announced Wednesday that the 6-3 guard has been dismissed from the EIU basketball program after averaging 11.0 points and 4.3 rebounds per game as a junior.
“He was dismissed from the university and we’re trying to find a new school for him,” coach Jay Spoonhour said. “I really like Morris and the year he had last year and I hope for nothing but the best for him.”
Eastern Illinois averaged an OVC-worst 60.4 points per game, with their 0.99 points per possession average ranking ninth in the conference. The Panthers won five of their final eight regular season games to earn a spot in the OVC tournament, and Woods’ improvement as a scorer was one reason why.
Woods averaged 15.9 points per game during that stretch (he missed EIU’s 58-50 win at Chicago State on February 26), shooting 57.7% from the field. On the season Woods converted 51% of his field goal attempts.
Eastern Illinois will not lack for options when it comes to replacing Woods however, as sophomore Alex Austin (9.2 ppg as a freshman) returns and the well-traveled Reggie Smith (has played at both Marquette and UNLV) will be eligible to play after sitting out last season.
Forwards Sherman Blanford (10.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg) and Josh Piper (10.2, 4.4) are the Panthers’ two leading returnees from last season’s roster.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)