Jul 11, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
With its top four scorers from last season returning, Eastern Illinois had the potential to improve upon its 11-21 record (6-10 OVC) in 2013-14. But if Jay Spoonhour’s Panthers are to accomplish that goal, they’ll do so without the services of leading scorer Morris Woods.
It was announced Wednesday that the 6-3 guard has been dismissed from the EIU basketball program after averaging 11.0 points and 4.3 rebounds per game as a junior.
“He was dismissed from the university and we’re trying to find a new school for him,” coach Jay Spoonhour said. “I really like Morris and the year he had last year and I hope for nothing but the best for him.”
Eastern Illinois averaged an OVC-worst 60.4 points per game, with their 0.99 points per possession average ranking ninth in the conference. The Panthers won five of their final eight regular season games to earn a spot in the OVC tournament, and Woods’ improvement as a scorer was one reason why.
Woods averaged 15.9 points per game during that stretch (he missed EIU’s 58-50 win at Chicago State on February 26), shooting 57.7% from the field. On the season Woods converted 51% of his field goal attempts.
Eastern Illinois will not lack for options when it comes to replacing Woods however, as sophomore Alex Austin (9.2 ppg as a freshman) returns and the well-traveled Reggie Smith (has played at both Marquette and UNLV) will be eligible to play after sitting out last season.
Forwards Sherman Blanford (10.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg) and Josh Piper (10.2, 4.4) are the Panthers’ two leading returnees from last season’s roster.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Lyle was originally committed to Louisville before backing off.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The rush for a good spot to wait for Big Blue Madness tickets is always entertaining.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)