Jul 11, 2013, 10:27 AM EST
PHILADELPHIA — The members of the Class of 2016 put on a show after the tryouts for the USA’s U16 national team last month.
Remember this video?
I do. It’s a friendly reminder that kids half my age are already infinitely better basketball players than I could ever dream of being.
One name that didn’t show up in that video is Derrick Jones, an athletic 6-foot-6 lefty from Archbishop Carroll (PA). That’s because the No. 11 recruit in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals, didn’t make the U16 team. He was one of the final four players cut, but that hasn’t deterred some of the biggest programs in the country from offering Jones a scholarship.
In addition to the dozen or so offers that Jones has already, two of the nation’s blue bloods have taken interest. Kentucky and Kansas have both offered Jones, with Syracuse, Maryland, Kansas State, St. Joseph’s and Villanova being the other five schools that he rattled off at Reebok’s Breakout Classic in Philly.
“Those are the schools that have been texting my phone,” Jones told NBCSports.com.
Jones’ athleticism is what sets him apart right now. He’s got the kind of physical gifts that don’t come along too often, and perhaps his most valuable skill is that he plays hard; he defends, he attacks the glass, he goes to the rim instead of settling for jumpshots.
As important as that is, for Jones to take the next step, he needs to become more of a basketball player than simply being an athletic freak.
“I want to improve on my ball-handling and my jump shot,” Jones said. “I want to put on like 15 pounds.”
The good news for Jones?
He’s going to be a junior in high school in the fall. He’s got plenty of time to improve the rest of his game.
Put in the work in the gym, and he’ll go a long way.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:37 PM EST
Joining Cullen Neal on the sideline is Arthur Edwards, who is expected to miss 4-6 weeks thanks to a dislocated finger.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
The importance of this win for Butler cannot be overstated.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:19 PM EST
JayVaughn Pinkston is the leader and go-to guy for Villanova. And he is not their star because … why?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Gordon is averaging 10.5 points this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Not a bad way to kick off the Thanksgiving weekend
Nov 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
He was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Angry John Beilein is the best John Beilein.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Pinkston made a couple of huge plays down the stretch.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:10 AM EST
Another busy night of college hoops as the Maui semifinals wrap up and Arkansas gets a statement road win.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Maryland pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the young season as they outplayed No. 13 Iowa State for much of the game in front of a pro-Cyclone crowd in Kansas City.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run
Nov 25, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
As Arizona has struggled to find consistent offense early in the 2014-15 season, the consistency and selfless nature of sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has allowed Sean Miller to experiment with what works early.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Kansas head coach Bill Self is trying to get through to his players by changing starting lineups.
Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The former national champion still has the touch.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The Barclays Center Classic doubleheader will air on Friday night on NBC Sports Network.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
The Friars could be depleted on the perimeter against two tough opponents.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Minnesota will take a hit to its back court with this suspension.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
I hope his joke doesn’t make people ignore the fact the he really felt bad about this.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 PM EST
We get some good gauge games on Tuesday night.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Frank Kaminsky and Jahlil Okafor are near the top, but the rest of the top five may surprise you.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:27 PM EST
Benjamin hurt his ankle against Michigan.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 1
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (10)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)