Jul 11, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
I wrote about Marshall Henderson earlier today, following an indefinite suspension that was handed out by Ole Miss on Wednesday following what was reported to be multiple failed drug tests, and how the worst decision that Ole Miss could make at this point would be to kick him off the team and out of the program.
Henderson has more going on than simply being a bad apple. Substance abuse issues are not an easy thing to deal with, and based on what has been reported and what we know about his previous behavior, I think it’s quite obvious that Henderson has substance abuse issues.
Is he an addict?
I don’t know, but it’s not a good sign that Ole Miss made a call to Chris Herren, a recovering addict that was the subject of the “30 for 30″ ‘Unguarded’. From Andy Katz:
According to multiple sources, an Ole Miss assistant coach called Herren about six weeks ago and gave him Henderson’s phone number. Herren called Henderson, left a message and expected a return call. But Henderson never called back.
Due to privacy issues, neither Herren nor Ole Miss can discuss their reason for trying to connect. But ESPN and multiple media reports confirmed Wednesday that the rising senior guard and the SEC’s leading scorer from last season was suspended indefinitely for failing multiple drug tests.
No one outside of Ole Miss and Henderson seem to know what, exactly, is going on here, but if the coaching staff is calling on Herren, it’s a sign to me that this is more than just a kid that parties too much.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)