Jul 11, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
I wrote about Marshall Henderson earlier today, following an indefinite suspension that was handed out by Ole Miss on Wednesday following what was reported to be multiple failed drug tests, and how the worst decision that Ole Miss could make at this point would be to kick him off the team and out of the program.
Henderson has more going on than simply being a bad apple. Substance abuse issues are not an easy thing to deal with, and based on what has been reported and what we know about his previous behavior, I think it’s quite obvious that Henderson has substance abuse issues.
Is he an addict?
I don’t know, but it’s not a good sign that Ole Miss made a call to Chris Herren, a recovering addict that was the subject of the “30 for 30″ ‘Unguarded’. From Andy Katz:
According to multiple sources, an Ole Miss assistant coach called Herren about six weeks ago and gave him Henderson’s phone number. Herren called Henderson, left a message and expected a return call. But Henderson never called back.
Due to privacy issues, neither Herren nor Ole Miss can discuss their reason for trying to connect. But ESPN and multiple media reports confirmed Wednesday that the rising senior guard and the SEC’s leading scorer from last season was suspended indefinitely for failing multiple drug tests.
No one outside of Ole Miss and Henderson seem to know what, exactly, is going on here, but if the coaching staff is calling on Herren, it’s a sign to me that this is more than just a kid that parties too much.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)