Jul 12, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
About a month after his legal issues stemming from an on-campus altercation were cleared up (the charges were dropped), UConn center Enosch Wolf was reinstated by head coach Kevin Ollie. But that move came with a caveat: if Wolf were to return to the program in 2013-14 he would have to do so as a walk-on, as George Washington transfer Lasan Kromah received the last available scholarship.
On Friday it became official that Wolf will not be back in Storrs next season as Telekom Baskets Bonn, a professional team in Germany, announced that it has signed the 7-1 center to a two-year deal (the announcement is in German, for obvious reasons).
After playing in 14 games during his first two seasons at UConn, Wolf saw action in 22 contests last season for the Huskies (13.7 mpg) in 2012-13. Wolf averaged 3.7 points and 3.4 rebounds per game before his season came to an end in February.
Wolf’s best outing came in a loss to N.C. State on December 4, as he scored 12 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the 69-65 defeat.
Ollie didn’t have many options inside to choose from last season, but UConn still managed to win 20 games thanks in large part to guards Shabazz Napier (17.1 ppg, 4.6 apg) and Ryan Boatright (15.4, 4.4). Freshmen Omar Calhoun (11.1 ppg, 3.9 rpg) and DeAndre Daniels (12.1, 5.5) were also double-digit scorers, and this quartet will be expected to lead the Huskies in their first season as a member of the American Athletic Conference.
But how much of a threat they can be to early favorites Louisville and Memphis will depend on what UConn gets from its big men. Senior Tyler Olander (4.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg) struggled for much of last season, and UConn will need more production from both he and sophomore Phillip Nolan (1.4, 2.1). The Huskies will add freshmen Amidah Brimah and Kentan Facey this summer.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)