Jul 12, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
This week has provided a mixed bag of sorts for North Carolina fans when it comes to the future of guard P.J. Hairston. On one hand, there’s the good news that there will be no additional criminal charges in the case that resulted in Hairston’s being cited on charges of driving without a license and misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
But on the flip side there’s the information found in the official police report, with Hairston stating that Hadyn “Fats” Thomas rented the GMC Yukon for Hairston so the Tar Heel could drive down to Atlanta to meet up with some friends.
Obviously this would be an issue when it comes to the possible violation of NCAA rules, which could ultimately compromise Hairston’s eligibility.
The report, which has not been released publicly, was obtained by the Raleigh News & Observer.
“Mr. Hairston stated that ‘Fats’ rented the vehicle for Mr. Hairston because he was planning on traveling to Atlanta this weekend to see some friends,” the report said.
Thomas told USA Today in an interview last week that he doesn’t know Hairston, but he told The N&O later that he knows UNC athletes through parties. He could not be reached. The Yukon and other vehicles Thomas has rented have turned up on UNC’s campus, a parking ticket database shows.
Prior to learning the details of the police report stories seemed to change on a frequent basis, especially the ones delivered by “Fats” Thomas. Thomas (who’s had multiple run-ins with the law) originally claimed that he rented the car for Faulcon, whose mother stated in an interview with USA Today that Miykael had no relationship with “Fats”.
With this being the second rental connected to Thomas that Hairston has been connected to, it’s only a matter of time before the NCAA gets involved. And with the many dots that are to be connected, that may not end well for North Carolina’s leading scorer.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)