Jul 12, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
This week has provided a mixed bag of sorts for North Carolina fans when it comes to the future of guard P.J. Hairston. On one hand, there’s the good news that there will be no additional criminal charges in the case that resulted in Hairston’s being cited on charges of driving without a license and misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
But on the flip side there’s the information found in the official police report, with Hairston stating that Hadyn “Fats” Thomas rented the GMC Yukon for Hairston so the Tar Heel could drive down to Atlanta to meet up with some friends.
Obviously this would be an issue when it comes to the possible violation of NCAA rules, which could ultimately compromise Hairston’s eligibility.
The report, which has not been released publicly, was obtained by the Raleigh News & Observer.
“Mr. Hairston stated that ‘Fats’ rented the vehicle for Mr. Hairston because he was planning on traveling to Atlanta this weekend to see some friends,” the report said.
Thomas told USA Today in an interview last week that he doesn’t know Hairston, but he told The N&O later that he knows UNC athletes through parties. He could not be reached. The Yukon and other vehicles Thomas has rented have turned up on UNC’s campus, a parking ticket database shows.
Prior to learning the details of the police report stories seemed to change on a frequent basis, especially the ones delivered by “Fats” Thomas. Thomas (who’s had multiple run-ins with the law) originally claimed that he rented the car for Faulcon, whose mother stated in an interview with USA Today that Miykael had no relationship with “Fats”.
With this being the second rental connected to Thomas that Hairston has been connected to, it’s only a matter of time before the NCAA gets involved. And with the many dots that are to be connected, that may not end well for North Carolina’s leading scorer.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)