Jul 12, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
In early July Mississippi Valley State head coach Chico Potts was arrested on charges of domestic violence following an altercation with his wife.
Friday it was reported by Andy Katz of ESPN.com that the school has suspended Potts indefinitely with pay until Mississippi Valley State’s investigation into the incident is completed.
“Effective immediately, Coach Potts has been suspended with pay,” university spokeswoman Jennifer Freeman said in a statement released by the school. “This suspension will remain in effect until the university completes its investigation. Associate basketball coach Marcus Thomas will serve as acting head basketball coach and lead the basketball program during the suspension.”
In his first season as head coach Potts led the Delta Devils to a 5-23 record, with all five of their wins coming in SWAC play. Mississippi Valley State returns five seniors from that team in 2013-14, including guard Darryl Marshall (7.9 ppg, 2.8 apg).
Also back is sophomore guard Matt Smith, who averaged 10.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in his rookie campaign. Acting head coach Marcus Thomas has head coaching experience, albeit not at the Division I level, as he led the program at Marion Military Institute from 2007-2011.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 2
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 3
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 3
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)