Jul 12, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
In early July Mississippi Valley State head coach Chico Potts was arrested on charges of domestic violence following an altercation with his wife.
Friday it was reported by Andy Katz of ESPN.com that the school has suspended Potts indefinitely with pay until Mississippi Valley State’s investigation into the incident is completed.
“Effective immediately, Coach Potts has been suspended with pay,” university spokeswoman Jennifer Freeman said in a statement released by the school. “This suspension will remain in effect until the university completes its investigation. Associate basketball coach Marcus Thomas will serve as acting head basketball coach and lead the basketball program during the suspension.”
In his first season as head coach Potts led the Delta Devils to a 5-23 record, with all five of their wins coming in SWAC play. Mississippi Valley State returns five seniors from that team in 2013-14, including guard Darryl Marshall (7.9 ppg, 2.8 apg).
Also back is sophomore guard Matt Smith, who averaged 10.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in his rookie campaign. Acting head coach Marcus Thomas has head coaching experience, albeit not at the Division I level, as he led the program at Marion Military Institute from 2007-2011.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 1
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)