Jul 12, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
In early July Mississippi Valley State head coach Chico Potts was arrested on charges of domestic violence following an altercation with his wife.
Friday it was reported by Andy Katz of ESPN.com that the school has suspended Potts indefinitely with pay until Mississippi Valley State’s investigation into the incident is completed.
“Effective immediately, Coach Potts has been suspended with pay,” university spokeswoman Jennifer Freeman said in a statement released by the school. “This suspension will remain in effect until the university completes its investigation. Associate basketball coach Marcus Thomas will serve as acting head basketball coach and lead the basketball program during the suspension.”
In his first season as head coach Potts led the Delta Devils to a 5-23 record, with all five of their wins coming in SWAC play. Mississippi Valley State returns five seniors from that team in 2013-14, including guard Darryl Marshall (7.9 ppg, 2.8 apg).
Also back is sophomore guard Matt Smith, who averaged 10.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in his rookie campaign. Acting head coach Marcus Thomas has head coaching experience, albeit not at the Division I level, as he led the program at Marion Military Institute from 2007-2011.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)