Jul 12, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
In early July Mississippi Valley State head coach Chico Potts was arrested on charges of domestic violence following an altercation with his wife.
Friday it was reported by Andy Katz of ESPN.com that the school has suspended Potts indefinitely with pay until Mississippi Valley State’s investigation into the incident is completed.
“Effective immediately, Coach Potts has been suspended with pay,” university spokeswoman Jennifer Freeman said in a statement released by the school. “This suspension will remain in effect until the university completes its investigation. Associate basketball coach Marcus Thomas will serve as acting head basketball coach and lead the basketball program during the suspension.”
In his first season as head coach Potts led the Delta Devils to a 5-23 record, with all five of their wins coming in SWAC play. Mississippi Valley State returns five seniors from that team in 2013-14, including guard Darryl Marshall (7.9 ppg, 2.8 apg).
Also back is sophomore guard Matt Smith, who averaged 10.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in his rookie campaign. Acting head coach Marcus Thomas has head coaching experience, albeit not at the Division I level, as he led the program at Marion Military Institute from 2007-2011.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 1
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)