Jul 13, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Prior to joining the DC Assault AAU program this spring, Martinsburg, WV, native Donte Grantham was one of the nation’s best-kept secrets.
“Before I played with DC Assault, the team that I was playing on wasn’t an elite team,” Grantham told NBCSports.com at Reebok’s Breakout Classic. “We were one of those teams that was put together from a town, so really, the big time schools didn’t see who I was or what I could do on the court.”
The West Virginia Player of the Year in 2013 wasn’t getting the kind of attention that he desired, however, as he was gathering largely mid-major scholarship offers, with programs like Marshall, George Mason, James Madison and Morehead State on the chase.
But after the two live periods in April, including an impressive performance at the Pitt Jam Fest, the attention that Grantham was getting started to pick up. Bob Huggins offered him a scholarship. A number of high-major programs started poking around, and that more than anything was him impetus for putting off college for a year and instead spending the 2013-2014 season prepping at Hargrave Military Academy.
“I’m looking to blow up more, I guess,” Grantham said with a laugh.
He currently counts offers from Miami, Cincinnati, Clemson, Penn State and West Virginia, with Ole Miss, Texas, Virginia, Louisville and Washington among the schools that have been in touch. Grantham, who is now ranked No. 73 in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, said he doesn’t have a favorite right now, but that he is looking to play at a school that will allow him to spend the majority of his time on the perimeter.
“I’m doing guard drills. Dribbling, shooting drills,” he said. “In college, I’m going to be a three or a two, so I’m working on my dribbling and shooting all the time.”
Grantham will enroll at Hargrave on August 22nd, and said he’s excited to get the year started.
“Every day, I’m going to be getting better just by playing against my teammates.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)