Jul 13, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Prior to joining the DC Assault AAU program this spring, Martinsburg, WV, native Donte Grantham was one of the nation’s best-kept secrets.
“Before I played with DC Assault, the team that I was playing on wasn’t an elite team,” Grantham told NBCSports.com at Reebok’s Breakout Classic. “We were one of those teams that was put together from a town, so really, the big time schools didn’t see who I was or what I could do on the court.”
The West Virginia Player of the Year in 2013 wasn’t getting the kind of attention that he desired, however, as he was gathering largely mid-major scholarship offers, with programs like Marshall, George Mason, James Madison and Morehead State on the chase.
But after the two live periods in April, including an impressive performance at the Pitt Jam Fest, the attention that Grantham was getting started to pick up. Bob Huggins offered him a scholarship. A number of high-major programs started poking around, and that more than anything was him impetus for putting off college for a year and instead spending the 2013-2014 season prepping at Hargrave Military Academy.
“I’m looking to blow up more, I guess,” Grantham said with a laugh.
He currently counts offers from Miami, Cincinnati, Clemson, Penn State and West Virginia, with Ole Miss, Texas, Virginia, Louisville and Washington among the schools that have been in touch. Grantham, who is now ranked No. 73 in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, said he doesn’t have a favorite right now, but that he is looking to play at a school that will allow him to spend the majority of his time on the perimeter.
“I’m doing guard drills. Dribbling, shooting drills,” he said. “In college, I’m going to be a three or a two, so I’m working on my dribbling and shooting all the time.”
Grantham will enroll at Hargrave on August 22nd, and said he’s excited to get the year started.
“Every day, I’m going to be getting better just by playing against my teammates.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)