Jul 13, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
This just in: every move John Calipari makes pays recruiting dividends.
Hanging with Charlie Sheen? Money.
Posing with arch-nemesis Rick Pitino? Also gold.
Being chosen to drive the Kentucky Speedway pace car? Got his name in the papers.
Losing in his hometown in the first round of the NIT? OK, maybe I’m stretching the premise here.
But you have to admit, choosing to coach the Dominican National Team – a lesser light in international basketball circles – has paid off in a big way for Calipari. And it may be the gift that keeps on giving, according to Ben Roberts of the Lexington Herald-Leader.
John Calipari and Orlando Antigua coached [Karl] Towns for two summers with the Dominican national team. That relationship helped them land the 7-footer, who remains UK’s only commitment in the class of 2014.
Now another 2014 prospect with Dominican ties is emerging as an elite player in the class, and Kentucky’s coaching staff is in a prime position.
Angel Delgado — a Dominican native — came to the United States last year and has been steadily climbing the recruiting rankings.
Delgado is 6’9″ and reported to be a great rebounder with a motor that doesn’t quit. That may not be enough to jump him over the likes of Cliff Alexander and Trey Lyles on Coach Cal’s big board, but it wouldn’t exactly hurt the program to nab an athletic project who might stick around and be a glue guy for more than two semesters. Then again, Zagsblog.com says Delgado is coming on like gangbusters, so let’s not underestimate him.
One thing seems sure, Coach Cal has the first shot at Delgado if he wants him. All because he – and now his assistant Orlando Antigua – have put in some time coaching basketball for a small Caribbean nation.
All I can say to that is: Get on his level. The guy is in another time zone in terms of recruiting.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Arizona, Michigan State and Providence all reached last season’s NCAA tournament.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:32 PM EST
Who is the most clutch player in the country?
Nov 20, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
The 2014 Maui Invitational kicks off on Monday.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:57 PM EST
I cannot respect your intelligence if you think Kentucky beats Philly. I just can’t do it.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
The last two years, Wichita State, UConn and Kentucky have all made the Final Four as teams seeded outside the top six.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
You have to love early morning basketball.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Sad: One of the sport’s most notorious coaches is struggling with his health.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
All of today’s college hoops action.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
There’s more to Shaka Smart than meets the eye.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:32 AM EST
Will we ever see Butler’s head coach on the sideline again?
Nov 20, 2014, 1:05 AM EST
It was a quiet night on the college hoops front, but one ranked team went down.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:53 AM EST
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was the spark plug for a team that has a lot of progress to make offensively.
Nov 19, 2014, 11:37 PM EST
Jakeenan Gant has yet to play in a game for Missouri.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Now that is hops.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
This is a huge win for Creighton and for the Big East as a whole.
Nov 19, 2014, 9:22 PM EST
Come on, Toby.
Nov 19, 2014, 8:57 PM EST
Apologies won’t get Tom Crean off the hot seat, but at least they acknowledged their mistakes.
Nov 19, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
Derek Ogbeide’s been praised for his ability as a defender and rebounder, areas Georgia will need to address with two of their front court mainstays being seniors.
Nov 19, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
It’s not the same as last night, but there are some good basketball games scheduled for Wednesday.
Nov 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Who will be this years Marcus Foster and Isaiah Taylor?
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 13
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (17)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)