Jul 13, 2013, 10:49 PM EST
Negus Webster-Chan didn’t make enough of an impression at Mizzou.
That’s why he transferred to Hawaii.
In Hawaii’s active summer league, however, he’s made an immediate impression.
According to the Court Sense blog, he’s caused a bit of a stir, in fact. Not a bad idea in the laid-back Hawaiian summer league.
Chippy play in the second half of Solar Universe’s 97-84 win over Wealth Strategy Partners ramped up steadily, until a frustrated Julian Sensley got into it with UH senior guard Brandon Spearmanwith a minute or so left.
It was actually UH newcomer Negus Webster-Chan who was exchanging physical play and some elbows with Sensley on both ends and jawing at the proud (and pro) UH veteran some, especially after one deep 3-pointer. Webster-Chan had an otherwise great summer debut, scoring 25 points and affecting the game with rebounds and assists as well.
Anyway, some shoving ensued between Sensley and Spearman, and at least one swing (whiffed) was thrown by the latter. UH alum Zane Johnson (playing his first summer league game, in which he netted 33 points for Solar, the best of the night) applied a pretty impressive full-body tackle on the much bigger Sensley to get him to the floor and calm him down, and things settled down from there.
You’ll note that nobody laid a finger on Webster-Chan. Classic agent provocateur action.
Webster-Chan’s attitude might be exactly what the Rainbow Warriors need. Hawaii has been part of the Big West for a full season now, and they’re looking for an edge on their new rivals. Webster-Chan is a rangy wing player who presents matchup nightmares in the Big West. His ability to rile Sensley and get away with it is a good sign that Gib Arnold is acquiring the kind of muscle he’ll need to win his new league and garner an auto-bid to the NCAA tournament. He’s already scored with the addition of former Nebraska standout Christian Standhardinger, and another lanky power-conference transfer should make the Big West crown easier to claim.
Arnold seems like a shrewd operator. Keep an eye on him and his team in the future.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)