Jul 13, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Things just will not turn around for Seton Hall. The team that came within one overtime point of a national title under P.J. Carlesimo in 1989 has been on a downward trajectory since.
The Pirates haven’t been to the Big Dance since 2006, and they’ve been through a series of coaches and various combinations of players with various combinations of on- and off-court difficulties since.
This year is no exception. The school looked forward to adding guard Jerron Wilbut to the roster next season, but that hasn’t gone so well. Pioneer Local is reporting that Wilbut was arrested and charged with aggravated robbery – a class 1 felony – in March, and that he pleaded guilty to the charge. The plea deal, somehow, just became public this week.
The long-suffering South Orange Juice blog noted that Wilbut’s plea came hard on the heels of trouble with Tom Maayan and the Israeli Defense Force, which will cost them Maayan’s services. It’s not easy being Orange these days.
It’s hard to believe that the Seton Hall coaching staff would knowingly accept a recruit who plead guilty to aggravated robbery, still a felony, after the close link between Seton Hall basketball and extra curricular activities in the past. See: Robert Mitchell & Kelly Whitney, Herb Pope after he graduated, Jeremy Hazell being shot in Harlem. The list goes on. Perhaps the staff wasn’t fully aware of Jerron’s legal situation. Maybe our information was incorrect.
A few months back, we were all excited about a Wilbut/Aquille Carr backcourt in South Orange. Now Carr may be playing pro in China and Wilbut’s status is in serious doubt.
Kevin Willard must be feeling like Charlie Brown in the Peanuts Halloween Special. “I got a rock.”
But hey, at least they still have Rutgers.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 5
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (7)