Jul 14, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
There was inherent risk when the Phoenix Suns drafted Maryland center Alex Len with the fifth pick in this year’s NBA Draft, but Len’s upside greatly outweighs any risk that his right ankle poses. There was a reason, after all, the Cleveland Cavaliers toyed with the idea of taking Len with the first overall pick. True 7-footers who have the skills Len possesses and move as well as he does don’t come around every year.
While he projects to be ready for the beginning of the 2013-14 NBA season, Phoenix announced last Friday that Len underwent successful surgery on his right ankle in what the organization has called a “precautionary measure.”
Lon Babby, the Suns President of Basketball Operations said:
…Our medical staff determined that it would be prudent to perform surgery on Alex Len’s right ankle at this time… As part of a routine evaluation, our medical team identified the very beginnings of a stress fracture in Alex’s right ankle even though Alex was entirely asymptomatic.
It isn’t often that teams knowingly select a player with such a high draft pick with a history of injuries. Look no further than Jared Sullinger who was projected to be a Top 10 in the 2011 NBA Draft, but fell to the Boston Celtics with the 21st pick after it was learned Sullinger had lingering back issues. The fact that Len was still a Top 5 pick speaks to his skill set and how special of a player he may be in the NBA. Expect the Sun to be extremely cautious with their top pick in not rushing him back.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)