Jul 14, 2013, 2:20 PM EST
There was inherent risk when the Phoenix Suns drafted Maryland center Alex Len with the fifth pick in this year’s NBA Draft, but Len’s upside greatly outweighs any risk that his right ankle poses. There was a reason, after all, the Cleveland Cavaliers toyed with the idea of taking Len with the first overall pick. True 7-footers who have the skills Len possesses and move as well as he does don’t come around every year.
While he projects to be ready for the beginning of the 2013-14 NBA season, Phoenix announced last Friday that Len underwent successful surgery on his right ankle in what the organization has called a “precautionary measure.”
Lon Babby, the Suns President of Basketball Operations said:
…Our medical staff determined that it would be prudent to perform surgery on Alex Len’s right ankle at this time… As part of a routine evaluation, our medical team identified the very beginnings of a stress fracture in Alex’s right ankle even though Alex was entirely asymptomatic.
It isn’t often that teams knowingly select a player with such a high draft pick with a history of injuries. Look no further than Jared Sullinger who was projected to be a Top 10 in the 2011 NBA Draft, but fell to the Boston Celtics with the 21st pick after it was learned Sullinger had lingering back issues. The fact that Len was still a Top 5 pick speaks to his skill set and how special of a player he may be in the NBA. Expect the Sun to be extremely cautious with their top pick in not rushing him back.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)