Jul 14, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Nevada head coach David Carter went the junior college route again as he landed 6-foot-11 center Chris Brown from Western Texas College. Brown is the fourth junior college transfer to commit to Nevada since April of this year, joining A.J. West, Ronnie Stevens and Lucas Stivrins.
Prior to spending a season at Western Texas, Brown played at Oregon State for his freshman season, but rarely saw the floor. In 15 games he played just 38 minutes totaling 12 points and 11 rebounds.
Brown announced via his Twitter account on Friday evening of his decision:
Larren Silver, Brown’s coach at Western Texas, told RGJ.com about what to expect from Brown:
He’s a very good offensive player. He can score in a variety of ways. Defensively, he could use some work there, and he’s not an athlete that will blow you away. But he knows how to use his size, and in the couple of games he was able to play for us he led the league in field-goal percentage.
There are many reasons a player will elect to spend a season or two at a junior college, and one of them is playing time. Unfortunately for Brown, he played in just five games for West Texas as blood clots limited his ability to play the entire season. He has since taken blood thinners to resolve the issue, and has been medically cleared to play in 2013-14.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)