Jul 14, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Nevada head coach David Carter went the junior college route again as he landed 6-foot-11 center Chris Brown from Western Texas College. Brown is the fourth junior college transfer to commit to Nevada since April of this year, joining A.J. West, Ronnie Stevens and Lucas Stivrins.
Prior to spending a season at Western Texas, Brown played at Oregon State for his freshman season, but rarely saw the floor. In 15 games he played just 38 minutes totaling 12 points and 11 rebounds.
Brown announced via his Twitter account on Friday evening of his decision:
Larren Silver, Brown’s coach at Western Texas, told RGJ.com about what to expect from Brown:
He’s a very good offensive player. He can score in a variety of ways. Defensively, he could use some work there, and he’s not an athlete that will blow you away. But he knows how to use his size, and in the couple of games he was able to play for us he led the league in field-goal percentage.
There are many reasons a player will elect to spend a season or two at a junior college, and one of them is playing time. Unfortunately for Brown, he played in just five games for West Texas as blood clots limited his ability to play the entire season. He has since taken blood thinners to resolve the issue, and has been medically cleared to play in 2013-14.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)