Jul 14, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
Nevada head coach David Carter went the junior college route again as he landed 6-foot-11 center Chris Brown from Western Texas College. Brown is the fourth junior college transfer to commit to Nevada since April of this year, joining A.J. West, Ronnie Stevens and Lucas Stivrins.
Prior to spending a season at Western Texas, Brown played at Oregon State for his freshman season, but rarely saw the floor. In 15 games he played just 38 minutes totaling 12 points and 11 rebounds.
Brown announced via his Twitter account on Friday evening of his decision:
Larren Silver, Brown’s coach at Western Texas, told RGJ.com about what to expect from Brown:
He’s a very good offensive player. He can score in a variety of ways. Defensively, he could use some work there, and he’s not an athlete that will blow you away. But he knows how to use his size, and in the couple of games he was able to play for us he led the league in field-goal percentage.
There are many reasons a player will elect to spend a season or two at a junior college, and one of them is playing time. Unfortunately for Brown, he played in just five games for West Texas as blood clots limited his ability to play the entire season. He has since taken blood thinners to resolve the issue, and has been medically cleared to play in 2013-14.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)