Jul 15, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
D’Angelo Harrison’s career at St. John’s is not over yet.
The fiery scoring guard was suspended from the team for the rest of the season on March 1st for a series of team rule violations and insubordination. But when you average 17.8 points as a sophomore, it’s not that easy to cut the cord, which is why head coach Steve Lavin gave Harrison a chance to earn his way back on the team.
It looks like Harrison has made the most of his opportunity.
He will be practicing and traveling with the team during their trip mid-August trip to Italy and France, which will be his first chance to work his way back into Lavin’s good graces on the court.
Bringing Harrison back into the mix can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on if he’s made the changes he needs to make. There is no questioning Harrison’s ability to score; but there are also times where Harrison can become a shoot-first primadonna, the kind of talent that can be an addition by subtraction.
The Johnnies should be pretty good next season in the new Big East. They return quite a bit of talent from last season — including Jakarr Sampson, Chris Obekpa and Phil Greene — while adding transfers Orlando Sanchez and Max Hooper, redshirt senior God’sgift Achiuwa, and freshman Rysheed Jordan.
There are plenty of bodies and certainly enough talent on that roster for St. John’s to make a run at an NCAA tournament berth.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 1
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)