Jul 15, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
D’Angelo Harrison’s career at St. John’s is not over yet.
The fiery scoring guard was suspended from the team for the rest of the season on March 1st for a series of team rule violations and insubordination. But when you average 17.8 points as a sophomore, it’s not that easy to cut the cord, which is why head coach Steve Lavin gave Harrison a chance to earn his way back on the team.
It looks like Harrison has made the most of his opportunity.
He will be practicing and traveling with the team during their trip mid-August trip to Italy and France, which will be his first chance to work his way back into Lavin’s good graces on the court.
Bringing Harrison back into the mix can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on if he’s made the changes he needs to make. There is no questioning Harrison’s ability to score; but there are also times where Harrison can become a shoot-first primadonna, the kind of talent that can be an addition by subtraction.
The Johnnies should be pretty good next season in the new Big East. They return quite a bit of talent from last season — including Jakarr Sampson, Chris Obekpa and Phil Greene — while adding transfers Orlando Sanchez and Max Hooper, redshirt senior God’sgift Achiuwa, and freshman Rysheed Jordan.
There are plenty of bodies and certainly enough talent on that roster for St. John’s to make a run at an NCAA tournament berth.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
A quick explanation of why John Calipari can be a great coach without being a great x’s-and-o’s coach.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Do you agree with that ranking?
Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
But would hiring Cremins be a way to get Anthony Johnson the job?
Aug 21, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
It is absolutely hilarious.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Five points down, 2.8 seconds left, and victorious?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
Rozier will be the most important player for Louisville this season.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Redshirting helped Eli Carter as he looks to recover from a broken leg suffered in 2013, but he still isn’t at the level he was prior to the injury.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
According to reports Dominic Woodson will be enrolling at Tennessee in time for the start of classes Thursday.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Four-star shooting guard Terance Mann picked Florida State over Arizona State, Boston College, Indiana, Marquette and Rhode Island.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Curtis Malone is serving a 100-month sentence after pleading guilty to being a part of a drug ring that brought in $80,000 in profits per month.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
A report stated that a blood clot in Chai Baker’s leg may have resulted in his collapsing during a workout on Tuesday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Deville Smith averaged 9.7 points and 2.7 assists in 32 games last season, making 18 starts.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Kennard is the No. 19 recruit in the Rivals top 150.
Aug 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Bryn Forbes averaged 15.6 points per game last season, shooting 43.4% from the field and 42.4% from three-point range.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
How can Nebraska build on their surprising, successful 2013-2014 season?
Aug 20, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Kentucky made the decision not to allow one of their stars to head to Spain for two weeks while they’re supposed to be in class.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Think Jayhawk fans remember the name Ali Farokhmanesh?
Aug 20, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
This took a while to plan.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)