Jul 15, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
D’Angelo Harrison’s career at St. John’s is not over yet.
The fiery scoring guard was suspended from the team for the rest of the season on March 1st for a series of team rule violations and insubordination. But when you average 17.8 points as a sophomore, it’s not that easy to cut the cord, which is why head coach Steve Lavin gave Harrison a chance to earn his way back on the team.
It looks like Harrison has made the most of his opportunity.
He will be practicing and traveling with the team during their trip mid-August trip to Italy and France, which will be his first chance to work his way back into Lavin’s good graces on the court.
Bringing Harrison back into the mix can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on if he’s made the changes he needs to make. There is no questioning Harrison’s ability to score; but there are also times where Harrison can become a shoot-first primadonna, the kind of talent that can be an addition by subtraction.
The Johnnies should be pretty good next season in the new Big East. They return quite a bit of talent from last season — including Jakarr Sampson, Chris Obekpa and Phil Greene — while adding transfers Orlando Sanchez and Max Hooper, redshirt senior God’sgift Achiuwa, and freshman Rysheed Jordan.
There are plenty of bodies and certainly enough talent on that roster for St. John’s to make a run at an NCAA tournament berth.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Jones recently received his qualifying score on the SAT, only to inform SDSU that he wanted to be released from his NLI.
Former Illinois women’s basketball players file lawsuit against athletic director, head coach and former assistant
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
AD Mike Thomas stated in May that there would be an investigation into the allegations.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
KD, Stephen and Russ lead the way, and two of those three weren’t even ranked coming out of high school.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Cal already has two members of its 2015 class on campus, and they added another to the mix Wednesday.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
He’s currently teammates with a soon-to-be Oregon Duck. Hmm …
Jul 1, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT
That makes three commitments in 24 hours for Cincinnati.
Jul 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Terrence Samuel was recruited over at UConn.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT
Kansas is in South Korea repping the USA in the World University Games.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino gave his take on the situation surrounding Jarvis Johnson.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)