Jul 15, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
D’Angelo Harrison’s career at St. John’s is not over yet.
The fiery scoring guard was suspended from the team for the rest of the season on March 1st for a series of team rule violations and insubordination. But when you average 17.8 points as a sophomore, it’s not that easy to cut the cord, which is why head coach Steve Lavin gave Harrison a chance to earn his way back on the team.
It looks like Harrison has made the most of his opportunity.
He will be practicing and traveling with the team during their trip mid-August trip to Italy and France, which will be his first chance to work his way back into Lavin’s good graces on the court.
Bringing Harrison back into the mix can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on if he’s made the changes he needs to make. There is no questioning Harrison’s ability to score; but there are also times where Harrison can become a shoot-first primadonna, the kind of talent that can be an addition by subtraction.
The Johnnies should be pretty good next season in the new Big East. They return quite a bit of talent from last season — including Jakarr Sampson, Chris Obekpa and Phil Greene — while adding transfers Orlando Sanchez and Max Hooper, redshirt senior God’sgift Achiuwa, and freshman Rysheed Jordan.
There are plenty of bodies and certainly enough talent on that roster for St. John’s to make a run at an NCAA tournament berth.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:22 AM EST
Neither the Panthers nor the Tigers did themselves any favors Wednesday night, with Pittsburgh’s home loss being the costlier of the two defeats.
Joe O’Shea’s off-balance three-pointer forces overtime in Bryant’s double OT win over Sacred Heart (VIDEO)
Mar 4, 2015, 11:34 PM EST
Thanks to O’Shea the Bulldogs advanced to the NEC semifinals, where they’ll take on Robert Morris.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:22 PM EST
That didn’t take long.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:38 PM EST
Colson and Demetrius Jackson scored 11 second-half points apiece in Notre Dame’s win at Louisville.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:03 PM EST
D’Angelo Russell scored 28 to lead the Buckeyes, but none of his points were wilder than the two scored by Thompson on this play.
Mar 4, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
All of Wednesday’s relevant bubble info can be found right here.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
Kentucky head coach John Calipari is one of 15 coaches still in contention for this honor.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Kaminsky is one of five seniors on the list, and Gonzaga is the only program with two representatives.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
With the higher seeds hosting in the first three rounds of the Postseason NIT, the four one-seeds could potentially not leave campus before the semifinals at Madison Square Garden.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:40 PM EST
The most recent title odds from Bovada.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EST
There are a lot of big bubbles games tonight.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:26 PM EST
These are the small league favorites that can win a game in the NCAA tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Hank Gathers died on the court during the WCC tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:42 AM EST
Perry Ellis suffered a nasty looking knee injury last night.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
I’ve never seen this happen before.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Justin Anderson has been out for more than three weeks after fracturing a finger.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Two strong teams enter the Valley Conference Tournament with numerous others trying to enter the frame.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:26 AM EST
Kentucky is learning how to win games when they don’t play well. That’s scary.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
No. 9 Kansas topped No. 20 West Virginia but now the Jayhawks must worry about the health of Perry Ellis.
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)