Jul 16, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
It’s been a rough few years for the storied UCLA men’s basketball program.
After a few seasons with issues on-and-off the floor it appeared to be heading in a better direction under the new leadership of Steve Alford. But his tenure in Westwood didn’t get off on the right foot. The Bruins have had problems with several scholarship players over the years — Shabazz Muhammad, Reeves Nelson, Josh Smith just to name a few. The last thing they needed was for a walk-on to make the program look bad.
And that’s exactly what happened on Tuesday, as former CBT scribe and current Sporting News Associate Social Media Editor Troy Machir came across some questionable tweets.
Adria Gasol, a UCLA freshman center and younger brother of All-Star centers Pau and Marc, tweeted about George Zimmerman on Tuesday night … three days after the verdict.
George Zimmerman did nothing wrong.
— Adrià Gasol (@AdriaGasol) July 16, 2013
The youngest Gasol has close to 8,900 followers, combine that with a sensitive subject, and you can imagine Gasol got negative feedback to his tweets. He later tweeted a link to a Reddit thread, and finally appeared to back off the initial tweet, in a response to a follower’s disagreement:
he killed, it was wrong. I don’t think he did it out of malice and maybe out of self defense. Nothing is right or wrong.
For what it’s worth, Gasol, who became a walk-on in August, didn’t play in a single game, and is currently not listed on the UCLA roster. So maybe Alford won’t have to worry about Gasol’s unpredictable tweets this winter. I’m sure he’ll have enough to deal with.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)