Jul 16, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
It’s been a rough few years for the storied UCLA men’s basketball program.
After a few seasons with issues on-and-off the floor it appeared to be heading in a better direction under the new leadership of Steve Alford. But his tenure in Westwood didn’t get off on the right foot. The Bruins have had problems with several scholarship players over the years — Shabazz Muhammad, Reeves Nelson, Josh Smith just to name a few. The last thing they needed was for a walk-on to make the program look bad.
And that’s exactly what happened on Tuesday, as former CBT scribe and current Sporting News Associate Social Media Editor Troy Machir came across some questionable tweets.
Adria Gasol, a UCLA freshman center and younger brother of All-Star centers Pau and Marc, tweeted about George Zimmerman on Tuesday night … three days after the verdict.
George Zimmerman did nothing wrong.
— Adrià Gasol (@AdriaGasol) July 16, 2013
The youngest Gasol has close to 8,900 followers, combine that with a sensitive subject, and you can imagine Gasol got negative feedback to his tweets. He later tweeted a link to a Reddit thread, and finally appeared to back off the initial tweet, in a response to a follower’s disagreement:
he killed, it was wrong. I don’t think he did it out of malice and maybe out of self defense. Nothing is right or wrong.
For what it’s worth, Gasol, who became a walk-on in August, didn’t play in a single game, and is currently not listed on the UCLA roster. So maybe Alford won’t have to worry about Gasol’s unpredictable tweets this winter. I’m sure he’ll have enough to deal with.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)