Jul 16, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The turnaround isn’t yet complete, but you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone that isn’t going to be raving about the job that Ed Cooley has done in his first two-plus years at Providence.
For the first time since 2009, Cooley got Providence into the NIT, where the Friars advanced to the quarterfinals. That’s not necessarily an impressive achievement until you consider that, just twice since Providence’s last NCAA tournament in 2004, have the Friars even made the NIT, and in neither of those appearances did they win a game.
So yes, Cooley’s winning more than Providence fans have become accustomed to winning.
The better news?
Cooley’s team is only going to get better. In addition to finally getting a healthy Kris Dunn, the best point guard and a five-star recruit in the Class of 2012, back next season — Dunn missed much of the preseason at the start of the season with a shoulder injury — Cooley will be bringing in four-star recruit Brandon Austin and will get transfers Carson Derosiers (Wake Forest) and Tyler Harris (NC State) eligible after sitting out last season. Losing Vincent Council will hurt, but when the only player graduating off your roster is the guy playing in front of a McDonald’s All-American, things could be worse.
And the good news isn’t done yet, as Cooley went out and landed another top 50 recruit on Monday night, as Jalen Lindsay, who is ranked 48th in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, committed to the program. An athletic, 6-foot-7 wing, Lindsay should fit right into the uptempo style that Cooley’s team has played the last two seasons. More impressive still, Lindsey is from Nashville and picked the Friars over the likes of Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and NC State, all whom had offered the wing.
And don’t think that’ll be the last time that Cooley lands an impressive recruit.
At this rate, it would be surprising if the Friars didn’t reach an NCAA tournament by the time Lindsey’s freshman season is over.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)