Jul 16, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Andrew Wiggins is already making headlines in Lawrence, but on Tuesday he was once again honored for his success on the hardwood in his senior season.
The Huntington Prep (W.Va.) small forward became the first Canadian to win the Gatorade High School Male Athlete of the Year. Wiggins was presented with the award on Tuesday night at the W Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles. He was the first basketball player to receive the award since 2010, when then Kentucky-commit Brandon Knight was tabbed as the athlete of the year.
The 6-foot-8 Wiggins averaged 23.4 points, 11.2 rebounds, 2.6 blocks and 2.5 assists for Rob Fulford and the 30-3 Express this past season.
“It feels pretty good to know I’m the first Canadian to get this, so it’s really big for my country,” Wiggins said. “I really wanted to win it.”
The Thornhill, Ont. native has racked up the hardware in his short time at Huntington Prep. He is the two-time West Virginia Gatorade Player of the Year and in 2013 was named Naismith Boys High School Player of the Year, a McDonald’s All-American and was the consensus top high school player in the country. And now as a college freshman is projected as the top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
“I don’t really pay attention to (high) expectations from other people,” Wiggins added. “I make goals for myself, my family and God.”
Wiggins committed to Kansas over Florida State, Kentucky North Carolina back on May 14.
He shared he night with the Gatorade Female Athlete of the Year, Morgan Andrews, a soccer player from Milford High (N.H.). She is committed to play at Notre Dame.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)