Jul 16, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
This time next week the national champion Louisville Cardinals will be in the Nation’s Capital to meet President Barack Obama for their congratulatory visit to the White House.
Head coach Rick Pitino broke the news earlier on Monday during a radio appearance on WHAS with Terry Meiners.
“It’s very much an educational trip and a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the players,” Pitino told WHAS.
Pitino is expected to have his entire team with him, including the Final Four’s Most Outstanding Player Luke Hancock, who was playing in the World University Games in Russia, as well Montrezl Harrell, who played with the Under-19 team that won gold at the FIBA World Championships in Prague, Czech Republic. Of course, guard Kevin Ware already made a trip to the White House in April, as a guest at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.
Obama had called Pitino days after the Cards defeated Michigan, despite the president picking Indiana to beat Louisville.
Pitino will travel a lot these upcoming months. After being to D.C., he and his coaching staff will fly to Las Vegas for the adidas Super 64. He’ll have some down time following the July live period, but then he makes the trip to Springfield, Mass. to be inducted in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on September 7.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)