Jul 16, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
This time next week the national champion Louisville Cardinals will be in the Nation’s Capital to meet President Barack Obama for their congratulatory visit to the White House.
Head coach Rick Pitino broke the news earlier on Monday during a radio appearance on WHAS with Terry Meiners.
“It’s very much an educational trip and a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the players,” Pitino told WHAS.
Pitino is expected to have his entire team with him, including the Final Four’s Most Outstanding Player Luke Hancock, who was playing in the World University Games in Russia, as well Montrezl Harrell, who played with the Under-19 team that won gold at the FIBA World Championships in Prague, Czech Republic. Of course, guard Kevin Ware already made a trip to the White House in April, as a guest at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.
Obama had called Pitino days after the Cards defeated Michigan, despite the president picking Indiana to beat Louisville.
Pitino will travel a lot these upcoming months. After being to D.C., he and his coaching staff will fly to Las Vegas for the adidas Super 64. He’ll have some down time following the July live period, but then he makes the trip to Springfield, Mass. to be inducted in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on September 7.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)