Jul 16, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Marcus Smart had a chance to be a top five pick — potentially the No. 1 pick — in the 2013 NBA Draft had he gone pro.
As you know by now, he didn’t, which is one of the major reasons that Kansas isn’t considered a shoe-in for their 10th straight Big 12 title.
At this point, there shouldn’t be a question about how good Smart is as a basketball player. He was an all-american as a freshman last season. He’s an Andrew Wiggins away from being the favorite to be the Preseason National Player of the Year heading into next season.
And now, according to Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News, he’s headed to the U.S. Men’s National Team minicamp on Monday in Las Vegas. He’s the only college player that was invited, and none of the players that were picked in the 2013 draft that Smart opted out of were invited, either.
That should give you an idea of just how highly regarded Smart is in basketball circles.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)