Jul 16, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
Texas Tech transfer and UCLA signee Wanaah Bail will be out for the next four months after undergoing surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee.
The surgery happened on June 28th, meaning that barring any setbacks, Bail should be ready to return to the court by the time the season starts in November, although there is no guarantee that he’ll be in shape then.
There is also no guarantee at this point that Bail will be eligible to play for UCLA this season. He originally signed with Texas Tech, but he left after the first session of summer classes due to his inability to deal with Billy Gillispie, who was as mean as he has ever been during his time at Tech.
Bail then went and spent some time at the Canarias Basketball Academy in the Canary Islands before returning stateside, spending part of the spring working out with John Lucas. He committed to UCLA in late May, but the issue is the summer session that he did at Texas Tech. He’s technically a transfer, not a recruit, despite the fact that he never suited up for the Red Raiders. That means that he needs to spend a year in residency at his new school before getting eligible; it’s essentially the same reason that Michael Dixon has yet to be cleared at Memphis.
I have a tough time seeing the NCAA failing to grant Bail a waiver considering the abuse that he put up with at Texas Tech that forced his transfer, but you never know what is going to happen in these situations.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 1
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)