Jul 16, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
Texas Tech transfer and UCLA signee Wanaah Bail will be out for the next four months after undergoing surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee.
The surgery happened on June 28th, meaning that barring any setbacks, Bail should be ready to return to the court by the time the season starts in November, although there is no guarantee that he’ll be in shape then.
There is also no guarantee at this point that Bail will be eligible to play for UCLA this season. He originally signed with Texas Tech, but he left after the first session of summer classes due to his inability to deal with Billy Gillispie, who was as mean as he has ever been during his time at Tech.
Bail then went and spent some time at the Canarias Basketball Academy in the Canary Islands before returning stateside, spending part of the spring working out with John Lucas. He committed to UCLA in late May, but the issue is the summer session that he did at Texas Tech. He’s technically a transfer, not a recruit, despite the fact that he never suited up for the Red Raiders. That means that he needs to spend a year in residency at his new school before getting eligible; it’s essentially the same reason that Michael Dixon has yet to be cleared at Memphis.
I have a tough time seeing the NCAA failing to grant Bail a waiver considering the abuse that he put up with at Texas Tech that forced his transfer, but you never know what is going to happen in these situations.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)