Jul 16, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
Texas Tech transfer and UCLA signee Wanaah Bail will be out for the next four months after undergoing surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee.
The surgery happened on June 28th, meaning that barring any setbacks, Bail should be ready to return to the court by the time the season starts in November, although there is no guarantee that he’ll be in shape then.
There is also no guarantee at this point that Bail will be eligible to play for UCLA this season. He originally signed with Texas Tech, but he left after the first session of summer classes due to his inability to deal with Billy Gillispie, who was as mean as he has ever been during his time at Tech.
Bail then went and spent some time at the Canarias Basketball Academy in the Canary Islands before returning stateside, spending part of the spring working out with John Lucas. He committed to UCLA in late May, but the issue is the summer session that he did at Texas Tech. He’s technically a transfer, not a recruit, despite the fact that he never suited up for the Red Raiders. That means that he needs to spend a year in residency at his new school before getting eligible; it’s essentially the same reason that Michael Dixon has yet to be cleared at Memphis.
I have a tough time seeing the NCAA failing to grant Bail a waiver considering the abuse that he put up with at Texas Tech that forced his transfer, but you never know what is going to happen in these situations.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Jones recently received his qualifying score on the SAT, only to inform SDSU that he wanted to be released from his NLI.
Former Illinois women’s basketball players file lawsuit against athletic director, head coach and former assistant
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
AD Mike Thomas stated in May that there would be an investigation into the allegations.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
KD, Stephen and Russ lead the way, and two of those three weren’t even ranked coming out of high school.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Cal already has two members of its 2015 class on campus, and they added another to the mix Wednesday.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
He’s currently teammates with a soon-to-be Oregon Duck. Hmm …
Jul 1, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT
That makes three commitments in 24 hours for Cincinnati.
Jul 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Terrence Samuel was recruited over at UConn.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT
Kansas is in South Korea repping the USA in the World University Games.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino gave his take on the situation surrounding Jarvis Johnson.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Missouri is missing sophomore forward Montaque Gill-Caesar from summer workouts.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)