Jul 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Without question, the biggest concern that readers of this site have regarding Haydn ‘Fats’ Thomas is whether or not he has any connection to an NBA agent.
Because he spent more that $15,000 no rental cars since February, according to a report from USA Today. One of the cars he rented was being driven by PJ Hairston when he was caught driving on a suspended license with weed in his car last month. Another car rented by a woman that lives with Thomas was being driven by Hairston when he was pulled over for speeding.
If it turns out that the money used to rent those cars was funneled to Fats by an agent — remember, the NCAA is investigating Hairston’s relationship with Rodney Blackstock, the man that was tangled up in the Ben McLemore story from back in May — than Hairston’s NCAA career could be in serious jeopardy.
But for Fats, the NCAA is the least of his worries, as he was in court on Tuesday facing felony drug and gun charges. Those are the kind of guys that you want hanging out with your basketball players, ain’t that right Roy Williams? From Laura Keeley of the Raleigh News & Observer (emphasis mine):
Thomas [...] was represented Tuesday in court by his lawyer, Randy Griffin. The assistant district attorney announced that the state has offered Thomas a plea and that the U.S. Attorney, Ripley Rand, has expressed an interest in the case. The judge, Jim Hardin, agreed to keep the case in the same setting and set the next court appearance for Aug. 19th.
When asked why the U.S. attorney was interested in Thomas, Griffin said, “I don’t know, maybe the State fans called him.”
Griffin is likely referring to this thread from the Pack Pride message board for NC State fans where the identity of Fats was first made public.
Basketball runs deep down in the Triangle.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 3
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 10
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)