Jul 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
With the move to the Missouri Valley Conference Loyola (Chicago) is taking a step up in competition, and its ability to take advantage of the great amount of talent in the Chicagoland area will determine how competitive Porter Moser’s program is in the new conference.
On Thursday the school announced the addition of assistant Emanuel Dildy to Moser’s coaching staff, bring the Chicago native home after spending last season on Jay Spoonhour’s staff at Eastern Illinois. Prior to his one season at EIU Dildy, whose cousin Tracy is the head coach at Chicago State, was head coach for two seasons at Kennedy-King College.
“I am excited about having Emanuel join our staff. Having grown up in Chicago he is a Chicago guy through and through and is unbelievably respected in all circles,” Moser said in the statement announcing the hire. “Emanuel has been a head coach and is my kind of guy – one that has a great energy about himself.
“He grew up in Chicago when Loyola was a force in the ’80s and was passionate about helping his hometown team win a championship. Emanuel is a high character individual and has great recruiting ties in both Illinois and Indiana. We are thrilled to welcome him back to Chicago.”
The Ramblers finished the 2012-13 season with a 15-16 overall record, going 5-11 in the Horizon League. With the graduation of Ben Averkamp junior forward Christian Thomas (12.1 ppg, 6.5 rpg) is the team’s leading returning scorer and rebounder.
Loyola added two newcomers to the program, and there are also three transfers who will be at Moser’s disposal (former Kansas signee Milton Doyle being one of the three) after sitting out the 2012-13 season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 4
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 4
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)