Jul 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
With the move to the Missouri Valley Conference Loyola (Chicago) is taking a step up in competition, and its ability to take advantage of the great amount of talent in the Chicagoland area will determine how competitive Porter Moser’s program is in the new conference.
On Thursday the school announced the addition of assistant Emanuel Dildy to Moser’s coaching staff, bring the Chicago native home after spending last season on Jay Spoonhour’s staff at Eastern Illinois. Prior to his one season at EIU Dildy, whose cousin Tracy is the head coach at Chicago State, was head coach for two seasons at Kennedy-King College.
“I am excited about having Emanuel join our staff. Having grown up in Chicago he is a Chicago guy through and through and is unbelievably respected in all circles,” Moser said in the statement announcing the hire. “Emanuel has been a head coach and is my kind of guy – one that has a great energy about himself.
“He grew up in Chicago when Loyola was a force in the ’80s and was passionate about helping his hometown team win a championship. Emanuel is a high character individual and has great recruiting ties in both Illinois and Indiana. We are thrilled to welcome him back to Chicago.”
The Ramblers finished the 2012-13 season with a 15-16 overall record, going 5-11 in the Horizon League. With the graduation of Ben Averkamp junior forward Christian Thomas (12.1 ppg, 6.5 rpg) is the team’s leading returning scorer and rebounder.
Loyola added two newcomers to the program, and there are also three transfers who will be at Moser’s disposal (former Kansas signee Milton Doyle being one of the three) after sitting out the 2012-13 season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 0
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)