Jul 18, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
After spending two seasons at Polk State College in Winter Haven, Fla., Baltimore native Davon Usher played at Mississippi Valley State during the 2012-13 season. Averaging 18.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game last season, Usher was one of the best newcomers in the SWAC and earned second team All-SWAC honors.
Usher won’t be a Delta Devil next season however, as it was reported by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com that Usher is transferring to Delaware and will be eligible to play immediately.
That’s big news for the Blue Hens, who return guards Devon Saddler (19.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg) and Jarvis Threatt (13.0, 5.7) but have to account for the graduation of forward Jamelle Hagins (11.6, 10.7).
With Hagins, Saddler and Threatt leading the way last season Delaware posted a record of 19-14 (13-5 CAA), finishing in a tie for second place one game behind CAA regular season champion Northeastern. Delaware fell in the semifinals of the CAA tournament by one (58-57) to eventual champion James Madison.
The return of Saddler, Threatt and Kyle Anderson was expected to place Monte Ross’ team in the conversation atop the CAA in 2013-14, with Pat Skerry’s Towson Tigers being another club expected to contend. The addition of Usher makes Delaware even more formidable, although there’s still work to be done when it comes to accounting for the loss of Hagins in the rebounding department.
Delaware ranked fifth in the CAA in defensive rebounding percentage last season, managing to corral 68% of their opponents’ missed shots. With Hagins gone Delaware’s leading returning rebounder in the front court is senior Carl Baptiste, who averaged 4.2 rebounds per game as a junior. Threatt leads all returnees in that category, as he averaged 5.7 caroms per contest in 2012-13.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)