Jul 18, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
After spending two seasons at Polk State College in Winter Haven, Fla., Baltimore native Davon Usher played at Mississippi Valley State during the 2012-13 season. Averaging 18.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game last season, Usher was one of the best newcomers in the SWAC and earned second team All-SWAC honors.
Usher won’t be a Delta Devil next season however, as it was reported by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com that Usher is transferring to Delaware and will be eligible to play immediately.
That’s big news for the Blue Hens, who return guards Devon Saddler (19.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg) and Jarvis Threatt (13.0, 5.7) but have to account for the graduation of forward Jamelle Hagins (11.6, 10.7).
With Hagins, Saddler and Threatt leading the way last season Delaware posted a record of 19-14 (13-5 CAA), finishing in a tie for second place one game behind CAA regular season champion Northeastern. Delaware fell in the semifinals of the CAA tournament by one (58-57) to eventual champion James Madison.
The return of Saddler, Threatt and Kyle Anderson was expected to place Monte Ross’ team in the conversation atop the CAA in 2013-14, with Pat Skerry’s Towson Tigers being another club expected to contend. The addition of Usher makes Delaware even more formidable, although there’s still work to be done when it comes to accounting for the loss of Hagins in the rebounding department.
Delaware ranked fifth in the CAA in defensive rebounding percentage last season, managing to corral 68% of their opponents’ missed shots. With Hagins gone Delaware’s leading returning rebounder in the front court is senior Carl Baptiste, who averaged 4.2 rebounds per game as a junior. Threatt leads all returnees in that category, as he averaged 5.7 caroms per contest in 2012-13.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)