Jul 18, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
After spending 19 years as a head coach in the Junior College ranks, Brian Katz finally broke through when he was signed by Sacramento State in 2008.
And after leading that program to one of their most successful seasons in 2012-2013, Katz was reward with a brand-new, five-year deal that will keep him gainfully employed through the 2017-2018 season.
“Obviously, as a coach, you feel really good about a five-year commitment from both the athletics administration and the University’s administration,” Katz said. “I don’t think a lot of coaches in the country have that type of a commitment from their institution. The upcoming years are very exciting times for Sacramento State. Not only with men’s basketball, but the entire athletics department and the University in general, and I definitely feel fortunate to be a part of that.”
Katz’s team has improved their conference record every season that he has been head coach, and while last year’s 8-12 league record isn’t overpowering, it would have looked quite a bit different without four one-point losses.
The 14 wins the Hornets tallied last season were the second most in the school’s Division I history (since 1991), and in the last three season’s, they’ve won games at Oregon State and at Utah.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)