Jul 18, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Shaq Johnson is one of the best athletes to enter college basketball in recent memory.
He’s also once again looking for a school to play for.
After a largely non-descript freshman campaign for a bad Auburn team, Johnson has been dismissed from the program for a violation of team rules. Johnson started 21 games and averaged 5.3 points and 3.0 boards. According to a report, an arrest for possession of marijuana is the reason for Johnson’s dismissal.
“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard at Auburn University in the way that they conduct themselves off the court,” head coach Tony Barbee said. “I am very disappointed in Shaq’s choices and actions, and they won’t be tolerated. This decision is not one that I take lightly, but it is in the best interest of both the program and the student-athlete.”
When Tony Barbee took over the Auburn program in 2010, it was a mess. While he was able to land a couple of recruits that managed to find themselves ranked in a couple top 100 lists, Barbee hasn’t grown the program at all in three years. He’s 35-59 overall and 12-38 in the SEC coming off of a 9-23 season. And then there’s the whole point-shaving scandal.
I’d say that qualifies as a mess.
So maybe this was for the best for Johnson.
Does anyone need a guy that can do this?:
(Photo credit: AP)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)