Jul 18, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
SIU-Edwardsville head coach Lennox Forrester has completed his coaching staff for the 2013-14 season, as it was announced that former Ball State assistant Mitch Gilfillan has made the move to the Ohio Valley Conference school.
Gilfillan spent the last four seasons at Ball State as an assistant to Billy Taylor, who was replaced by former Arizona associate head coach James Whitford in the spring. That change ultimately led Gilfillan to Edwardsville, where he joins associate head coach Matt Laur and assistant Deryl Cunningham on Forrester’s staff.
“I want to thank Coach Forrester and SIUE for the opportunity to join the men’s basketball program,” Gilfillan said in the release. “SIUE is filled with promise and potential in one of the most underestimated conferences in the country – the OVC. I want to help the Cougars reach new heights on and off the court.”
As for Laur, he’d been a member of Forrester’s staff for the last five seasons before receiving his promotion to associate head coach. The Cougars will look to rebound from a 9-18 campaign in 2012-13, and they’ll need to account for the graduation of leading scorer Jerome Jones (16.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg) and leading rebounder Mark Yelovich (11.6, 5.9) in order to do so.
Junior guard Kris Davis is the Cougars’ leading returnee, as he averaged 11.7 points per game in 2012-13.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)