Jul 18, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
SIU-Edwardsville head coach Lennox Forrester has completed his coaching staff for the 2013-14 season, as it was announced that former Ball State assistant Mitch Gilfillan has made the move to the Ohio Valley Conference school.
Gilfillan spent the last four seasons at Ball State as an assistant to Billy Taylor, who was replaced by former Arizona associate head coach James Whitford in the spring. That change ultimately led Gilfillan to Edwardsville, where he joins associate head coach Matt Laur and assistant Deryl Cunningham on Forrester’s staff.
“I want to thank Coach Forrester and SIUE for the opportunity to join the men’s basketball program,” Gilfillan said in the release. “SIUE is filled with promise and potential in one of the most underestimated conferences in the country – the OVC. I want to help the Cougars reach new heights on and off the court.”
As for Laur, he’d been a member of Forrester’s staff for the last five seasons before receiving his promotion to associate head coach. The Cougars will look to rebound from a 9-18 campaign in 2012-13, and they’ll need to account for the graduation of leading scorer Jerome Jones (16.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg) and leading rebounder Mark Yelovich (11.6, 5.9) in order to do so.
Junior guard Kris Davis is the Cougars’ leading returnee, as he averaged 11.7 points per game in 2012-13.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)