Jul 19, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
When Nebraska plays its first regular season game at the new Pinnacle Bank Arena against FGCU, junior guard Deverell Biggs will not be available to play as he’s been suspended by head coach Tim Miles for a violation of team rules.
Biggs, who redshirted last season, pleaded no contest to a December charge of driving under the influence in April. Among the penalties for Biggs was a $300 fine, nine months of probation and having his driver’s license revoked for six months. He was also required to attend alcohol-education classes and abstain from using alcohol for six months.
In the immediate aftermath of that plea, Miles announced that he would suspend Biggs but did not say how long the suspension would be for. On Friday the head coach in his second year at the school announced that it would be for three games, with Biggs sitting out an exhibition game and the first two games of the regular season.
“We are obviously disappointed in Deverell’s actions,” Miles said in a statement announcing the decision. “It’s inexcusable. I know he has learned from it, and he will proceed accordingly to improve all areas of his life.”
Biggs is one of three options Miles has at the point entering the 2013-14 campaign, with sophomore Benny Parker being the lone returnee with experience. Joining Biggs and Parker is freshman Tai Webster, who is taking summer courses but has yet to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center in regards to being cleared to play this season.
With the overall lack of experience at the position there’s certainly the opportunity for Biggs to grab quality minutes, but he’ll need to rebound from the mistake made during his redshirt season in order to take advantage.
“I want to apologize to my teammates, coaches and fans for my actions,” Biggs said in the statement. “I understand the seriousness and the consequences of my actions, have learned from the situation and worked hard to move forward. I look forward to representing Nebraska in a positive manner on and off the court.”
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 0
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)