Jul 19, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Despite the graduation of Keith Clanton there’s optimism surrounding the UCF basketball program, with head coach Donnie Jones welcoming back just about every other key contributor from a team that managed to win 20 games despite being banned from postseason play.
Guard Isaiah Sykes (16.0 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 4.5 apg) was arguably the most versatile player in Conference USA, and his versatility will remain a factor despite the Knights’ move to the American Athletic Conference.
Joining Sykes on campus are key contributors such as guard Calvin Newell and forwards Tristan Spurlock and Kasey Wilson.
UCF is also one step closer to completing its non-conference schedule, as it was reported by the Orlando Sentinel that UCF will host Florida State on November 13. Paul Tenorio of the Sentinel noted in the story that this will not be UCF’s home opener. That contest has yet to be scheduled.
Leonard Hamilton’s squad, like UCF, has to account for the loss of a key senior (guard Michael Snaer) but a team that struggled due to inexperience is now a year older and will also take a trip to Greece next month.
Florida State adds freshman guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes, who played for Canada in the Under-19 World Championships earlier this month, to the mix as well.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)