Jul 20, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
Joe Dooley coached under Bill Self for the better part of a decade, so it may come a surprise to fans of Florida Gulf Coast University that he’s not trying to force his new home to fit the Kansas system, but rather following the plan set out by Andy Enfield: snag a bunch of athletic transfers from bigger schools and let them get after it.
Dooley will have three transfers on the bench this season, with each having plenty of eligibility left afterward.
Greene Jr. joins incoming transfers Julian DeBose (Washington, D.C./St. John College HS/Rice) from Rice and 6-foot-8 Tulane transfer Marc-Eddy Norelia (Orlando, Fla./Olympia HS/Tulane) as players signed by Dooley since taking over the reins of the program. All three will be eligible in 2014-15, with Norelia joining Greene Jr. with three years of eligibility while DeBose will have two years.
It’s tough to say what Greene will be able to do with more playing time after his transfer season is done. He got very few opportunities at Auburn, averaging just 11.6 minutes per game. He did excel as a three-point threat, averaging 42% from behind the arc, and he was a decent defender. No doubt Dooley will want Greene to add more to his arsenal during the year off, but he already sounds like a good fit for the full-court anarchy we all fell in love with during the most recent NCAA tourney.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)