Jul 20, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Joe Dooley coached under Bill Self for the better part of a decade, so it may come a surprise to fans of Florida Gulf Coast University that he’s not trying to force his new home to fit the Kansas system, but rather following the plan set out by Andy Enfield: snag a bunch of athletic transfers from bigger schools and let them get after it.
Dooley will have three transfers on the bench this season, with each having plenty of eligibility left afterward.
Greene Jr. joins incoming transfers Julian DeBose (Washington, D.C./St. John College HS/Rice) from Rice and 6-foot-8 Tulane transfer Marc-Eddy Norelia (Orlando, Fla./Olympia HS/Tulane) as players signed by Dooley since taking over the reins of the program. All three will be eligible in 2014-15, with Norelia joining Greene Jr. with three years of eligibility while DeBose will have two years.
It’s tough to say what Greene will be able to do with more playing time after his transfer season is done. He got very few opportunities at Auburn, averaging just 11.6 minutes per game. He did excel as a three-point threat, averaging 42% from behind the arc, and he was a decent defender. No doubt Dooley will want Greene to add more to his arsenal during the year off, but he already sounds like a good fit for the full-court anarchy we all fell in love with during the most recent NCAA tourney.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)