Jul 20, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Joe Dooley coached under Bill Self for the better part of a decade, so it may come a surprise to fans of Florida Gulf Coast University that he’s not trying to force his new home to fit the Kansas system, but rather following the plan set out by Andy Enfield: snag a bunch of athletic transfers from bigger schools and let them get after it.
Dooley will have three transfers on the bench this season, with each having plenty of eligibility left afterward.
Greene Jr. joins incoming transfers Julian DeBose (Washington, D.C./St. John College HS/Rice) from Rice and 6-foot-8 Tulane transfer Marc-Eddy Norelia (Orlando, Fla./Olympia HS/Tulane) as players signed by Dooley since taking over the reins of the program. All three will be eligible in 2014-15, with Norelia joining Greene Jr. with three years of eligibility while DeBose will have two years.
It’s tough to say what Greene will be able to do with more playing time after his transfer season is done. He got very few opportunities at Auburn, averaging just 11.6 minutes per game. He did excel as a three-point threat, averaging 42% from behind the arc, and he was a decent defender. No doubt Dooley will want Greene to add more to his arsenal during the year off, but he already sounds like a good fit for the full-court anarchy we all fell in love with during the most recent NCAA tourney.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)