Jul 20, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
Joe Dooley coached under Bill Self for the better part of a decade, so it may come a surprise to fans of Florida Gulf Coast University that he’s not trying to force his new home to fit the Kansas system, but rather following the plan set out by Andy Enfield: snag a bunch of athletic transfers from bigger schools and let them get after it.
Dooley will have three transfers on the bench this season, with each having plenty of eligibility left afterward.
Greene Jr. joins incoming transfers Julian DeBose (Washington, D.C./St. John College HS/Rice) from Rice and 6-foot-8 Tulane transfer Marc-Eddy Norelia (Orlando, Fla./Olympia HS/Tulane) as players signed by Dooley since taking over the reins of the program. All three will be eligible in 2014-15, with Norelia joining Greene Jr. with three years of eligibility while DeBose will have two years.
It’s tough to say what Greene will be able to do with more playing time after his transfer season is done. He got very few opportunities at Auburn, averaging just 11.6 minutes per game. He did excel as a three-point threat, averaging 42% from behind the arc, and he was a decent defender. No doubt Dooley will want Greene to add more to his arsenal during the year off, but he already sounds like a good fit for the full-court anarchy we all fell in love with during the most recent NCAA tourney.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)