Jul 20, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
Joe Dooley coached under Bill Self for the better part of a decade, so it may come a surprise to fans of Florida Gulf Coast University that he’s not trying to force his new home to fit the Kansas system, but rather following the plan set out by Andy Enfield: snag a bunch of athletic transfers from bigger schools and let them get after it.
Dooley will have three transfers on the bench this season, with each having plenty of eligibility left afterward.
Greene Jr. joins incoming transfers Julian DeBose (Washington, D.C./St. John College HS/Rice) from Rice and 6-foot-8 Tulane transfer Marc-Eddy Norelia (Orlando, Fla./Olympia HS/Tulane) as players signed by Dooley since taking over the reins of the program. All three will be eligible in 2014-15, with Norelia joining Greene Jr. with three years of eligibility while DeBose will have two years.
It’s tough to say what Greene will be able to do with more playing time after his transfer season is done. He got very few opportunities at Auburn, averaging just 11.6 minutes per game. He did excel as a three-point threat, averaging 42% from behind the arc, and he was a decent defender. No doubt Dooley will want Greene to add more to his arsenal during the year off, but he already sounds like a good fit for the full-court anarchy we all fell in love with during the most recent NCAA tourney.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)